Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default moon phase design

Hello Everyone,
    I am designing my first Clock, I built several from plans and want to add a moon phase to my next build. I understand how the moon phase works but I don't have access to one to watch. My question is at what time does the moon phase appear and then switch back to the day time display. If my understanding is correct it can't be a gradual movement or the moon phase would be wrong most of the night. I have read everything I can find they explain everything about how it works, how to read the scale but nothing on the transition times or how to know the transition is complete. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Jason

Default Re: moon phase design (By: croyleje)

I really only get involved in 18th century clocks, but over here we have two basic designs, eith 59 tooth wheels or 118 tooth wheels. Each is given a push once every twelve hours. The 118 tooth wheels have two moons on them and a semi circular arch with two hemispheres to provide the crescent shape on the moons, the 59 tooth wheels have a circular window with the sky section as a kidney shape.

The push happens as the hour hand rotates.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Registered user.

Default Re: moon phase design (By: novicetimekeeper)

I understand the mechanics of the dial I just can't figure out how the display works. If the disk rotated gradually all day the moon phase would only be correct for a few mins each dayat a certain time. So at what time does the daytime display switch to the moon phase and then back to the daytime and how does it switch? I don't need to know the exact mechanics of the operation but just want to know how it works? There must be something I am missing.
    Thank you,
    Jason

Registered user.

Default Re: moon phase design (By: novicetimekeeper)

Never mind everyone I am an idiot. I was overthinking everything as usual the more I learn the more confused I make myself. Sorry to bother everyone.
    Thank you,
    Jason

Default Re: moon phase design (By: croyleje)

I'm glad you have settled your question. Here are the two basic types (though I have seen other rarer ones these are the usual ones here.

Nick, lots to learn, late starter.