Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook

Blog Entries

Default Facebook

Kevin:

On this Forum...Facebook has no meaning worthy of my time...some of their posting will not fit the bill I am trying to create here. On this Forum we have no time for trash talk, insults and just talk that is not very worthy of the reader. As members of an organization that may cost up to $90 per year to belong...I find myself looking for the value that Facebook does not represent in its postings. Facebook costs nothing to become a member. And, the flow of language coming from some postings would never be allowed on the NAWCC Forums.

So let's try to create some real conversation. Just today, I read about some caves in France that were inhabited by the Netherlander...stuff that talks about early man. The history of man and his origins.
    Last edited by dweiss17; 01-07-2017 at 04:56 PM.

Default Re: Facebook (By: dweiss17)

do you mean the neanderthal? Netherlanders are a bit more recent.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Facebook (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    do you mean the neanderthal? Netherlanders are a bit more recent.

LOve it.. I can't spell worth a crap. Dan is usually my gold standard for spelling and grammar.

David
    David S

Blog Entries

Default Re: Facebook (By: novicetimekeeper)

Dan you can pick your friends who can see and post on what you post. To each his own Dan.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Facebook (By: Kevin W.)

I think we are here to talk about clocks and watches. If we need to talk about other things there are heaps of other places including facebook for that stuff.

Default Re: Facebook (By: roughbarked)

I have been using a computer for a good many years now. I do a lot of things on it like this forum---news--sports look up tons of information using the internet--and even some occasional shopping and buying.
    HOWEVER---with that being said---I have never found that I have a need for Facebook-- not to mention the author of the site and I disagree on a couple of major topics.
    I wonder if people realize when they join and use Facebook they have made that author/owner of that site just a little richer still.
    He started the site when he was very young--got rich in a hurry and then like most people with a lot of money---started throwing his opinions-likes and dislikes around like they were gospel.
    My elders that brought me up would have said to that---"money or not---you're still a little wet behind the ears for all those opinions and all that talk."

Quote Originally Posted by dweiss17 View Post

So let's try to create some real conversation. Just today, I read about some caves in France that were inhabited by the Netherlander...stuff that talks about early man. The history of man and his origins.

? They can't be Neanderthal. They aren't old enough.
    The cave paintings and other stuff found in Europe are way short of painting a whole picture. I see that much of the history of man has no mention at all of the oldest nor much at all of their history. Aboriginal people in Australia were not only cultivating, harvesting and grinding grain before any other people on earth but were painting on cave walls almost twice as long ago, possibly more than the earliest known European cave paintings.

Can't edit posts? Anyway, substitute oldest "living people". Evidence of Aboriginal art goes back to before the extinction of Neanderthal.

We have experts here in antiquity of clocks. The antiquity of art itself is less known.

Blog Entries

The NAWCC has a few groups on Facebook, so there must be a need for it then. Like i did say before, to each his own.

Blog Entries

Roughbark:

Please try to get it through your mind the Member News and Views were started so that we do not have to converse elsewhere on this Message Board.....Not on Facebook or on anywhere else...just as long as we are civil to one another. This Forum talks about talk not outside stuff. No horology or insults to other people who may post here.

Or calling down for their thoughts or misspelling.

Blog Entries

Dan, the NAWCC has Facebook pages, you seem to be so against it, Facebook. I have a Horology group on Facebook like other people do and its very active, way more than the members veiws page on this web site.

Quote Originally Posted by dweiss17 View Post
    Roughbark:

Please try to get it through your mind the Member News and Views were started so that we do not have to converse elsewhere on this Message Board.....Not on Facebook or on anywhere else...just as long as we are civil to one another. This Forum talks about talk not outside stuff. No horology or insults to other people who may post here.

Or calling down for their thoughts or misspelling.
    It is OK. I grokked thta you wanted to talk about the history of man.. and other things like string and sealing wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W. View Post
    Dan, the NAWCC has Facebook pages, you seem to be so against it, Facebook. I have a Horology group on Facebook like other people do and its very active, way more than the members veiws page on this web site.
    Hi Kevin,

I haven't visited your FB site. But I am interested in why folks would visit your FB site for horology stuff, or other sites for that matter, rather than join a horology site like the NAWCC message board.

David
    David S

Blog Entries

Default Re: Facebook (By: David S)

I guess partly because most things can be discussed and its a social page as well David. Same reason folks visit the Facebook pages the NAWCC have. But on the NAWCC Facebook page it has the same rules as their web site. Also David quite a few people that visit Horology Face book pages are also NAWCC members.

Thanks Kevin. For the most part would you say that your FB site is a "friendly" site? Do you think there is any thing different in terms of atmosphere on your Site vs others? When you say a social site, does that imply that that discussions can morph into something else.

Perhaps I should just go and check out your site and see for myself. There are so many sites out there that at some point I have to put a stake in the ground and say this is it.

David
    David S