Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Weems & Plath Quartz Ship's Bell Clock

I acquired this clock in late December as being non-functional. The only immediate problem found was corrosion on the negative battery contact. The clock works and keeps time but the bell does not chime. The clapper is free and works when voltage is applied to its leads; there is no voltage from the movement to the coil leads.
    I have sent an email to W&P in Annapolis, MD (I live about 30 miles away) asking the supplier of the movement and am awaiting an answer which, by the way, I do not have high hopes for. The movement cannot be accessed without destroying the dial. One of my questions to W&P asks if there is an initialization sequence that must be used.
    My question to the membership is: has anyone seen/worked on this type of movement? Does anyone know who may have manufactured and supplied it to W&P? The vintage is 1990 and I'd prefer to either repair what I have or replace it with an exact model. Any and all help will be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9595.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	327048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9596.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	327049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9597.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	562.8 KB 
ID:	327050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9598.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	327051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9599.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	483.2 KB 
ID:	327052  

Default Re: Weems & Plath Quartz Ship's Bell Clock (By: Dave Heise)

Unfortunately there are no replacements and repair may not be possible. There is a chance of repair but you will have to gain access to the movement. Could you explain why the dial would have to be "destroyed" to access the movement? The dial appears to be held on by 4 small screws. It will probably lift off from the back.
    Willie X
    Last edited by Willie X; 01-01-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Default Re: Weems & Plath Quartz Ship's Bell Clock (By: Willie X)

Hi Willie. The movement screws are driven through a false plate which has the aluminum dial adhered/glued to it covering the screw heads. No doubt this is an assembly that is constructed in Germany and shopped to W&P. The entire dial/movement assembly does disconnect from the bezel via the 4 small screws to which you refer.
    BTW this clock is a dead ringer for the present day W&P Atlantis model; whether the movement is the same remains a mystery.....

AFAIK, there are no replacements. Hermle made an electronic bell strike with a speaker up until about 2 years ago. Course there could be a niche supplier somewhere. The dial may be held with double sided adhesive tape. A hair blower and a carefully used thin knife blade will usually work.
    Willie X

Blog Entries

Default Re: Weems & Plath Quartz Ship's Bell Clock (By: Willie X)

I can't tell from the photos, but is the bell on? The green part you see is the on / off for the ships strike. If it's off, push it to on and try. Still no luck; try spraying some contact cleaner into the board before you pull it apart.

Default Re: Weems & Plath Quartz Ship's Bell Clock (By: Chris)

........good things come to those who wait. While loading the washing machine this morning, I heard a faint 'Ding Ding.....Ding, Ding' coming from my bench behind me. The ship's bells have begun working again all on their own!! I did nothing but leave it alone while awaiting word from Weems & Plath (from whom I have yet to hear.) It almost seems as if maybe(?) a capacitor had to charge up or a discrete component on the board 'woke up!' In any case, we're back in business for now - we'll see how long it lasts and also how long it will take W&P to honor me with the courtesy of a call back.

Registered user.

Dave I have the exact same clock. The electromagnetic coil striker does hit the bell, but the sound it makes is less than that of a bell. More like a clunk. I'm suspicious of the single screw that holds the bell to the clock movement as being too big and the bell not being allowed to to resonate. Simple question, does your bell have a little freeplay when you try to move it or is it firmly attached to clock movement? Thanks Joe

Default Re: Weems & Plath Quartz Ship's Bell Clock (By: Captain Joe)

Hi Joe. My bell does have a slight bit of free play which allowed me to 'tune' my bell accordingly. the bell is mounted to a square plastic stud which isolates it from the rest of the mechanics which should allow for a VERY SOFT ring.
    As for my last post, I received a reply (finally) from W&P yesterday, April 17th. It only took them 106 days to respond The "resolution" is to bring or send it in and if the problem on the board can be repaired, it would be done at no charge (questionable.) If the movement would need to be replaced, the cost jumps to $150 - a much more likely scenario! Since I posted last, the chimes have worked except for 3 times that I know of where more strikes were made than the actual time dictated; I can live with this as it was given to me as a junker to begin with. If I want accuracy, I have a Schatz and a Seth Thomas on which to rely.

I also have a W&P Atlantis, quartz shipstrike that keeps time, but the strike mechanism seems to be totally random. Sometimes when i turn it on it will strike 5, 6, or so strikes, and running the hands around to the next hour or half hour result in non stop striking.

I removed the face plate with some dental floss to gain access to the three mounting screws for the movement. There was a little corrosion on the battery holder as well as very minor foxing on the the pc board itself which I cleaned but to no change in the striking. The movement has an adjustment screw near the bell on/off switch with no markings but lacking any found instructions or idea of what it does i've been want to monkey with it.

W&P wants $150 for the repair which seems excessive since the movement guts can't cost more than a few dollars. I thought about replacing the entire movement with new quartz shipstrike ones but apparently Hermle was the only one producing them and have since ceased production.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Weems & Plath Quartz Ship's Bell Clock (By: Ozwaldster)

If we knew who manufactured the PC board, there might be an avenue to pursue there. An old schematic could be dug out and reviewed in order to discover which component is crapping out. When you had it apart, were there any markings on the board - front or back? It could be helpful as well if you could post front and back photos of the board. Can't be that much to it since it's only chiming either 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 bells when 'activated.'