Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: leeinv66)

Quote Originally Posted by leeinv66 View Post
    There are areas in Australia where feral cats have decimated native fauna and it is understandable why some people have a dislike of cats in general. Personally, I recognise there is a difference between a domestic and a feral cat. However, I also recognise that a domestic cat is only one missed meal away from being feral. All owners of cats or dogs should ensure their animals are secure and not free to roam their neighbourhood. That is how I see it.
    This is what I was saying. Thanks Peter.
    I am aware that people in other parts of the world don't seem to realise what their cat does to the environment while they aren't watching it.
    A study done in Australia in the 70's showed that the most well fed "tame" cats still had 17% of their diet consisting of native birds and animals. It is no different in other parts of the world. Keep a cat if you want. This is fine, just don't allow it to run free in an unenclosed space or always have it on a lead.
    I have deep compassion for the welfare of all animals, including the cat. I'm constantly made aware of my effect on the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by richiec View Post
    So, roughbarked, what is your "animal" of choice that is totally tamed, a pit bull? a snake? dogs pollute more than any other animal urinating on every object they sniff. How nice are kangaroos, emus, ostriches. The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. What bad experience did you have as a child that makes you so anti cat?
    I'm not anti-cat as you infer. My animals of choice are all wild and free. This is their place as well. If a kangaroo or emu kicks my mother's chook pen down, I simply rebuild it. I'm living in their space and have to share it. There is no such thing as a tame cat or dog. Hence the term, "bite the hand that feeds it".

It is simplistic to point out that if you keep an animal out of its natural environment, you are a zookeeper.

David has pointed out that he does contain his cat or restrain it. I applaud the fact that he does. I was simply pointing out that if the cat was allowed to roam free it will be a mini lion or tiger. Around the world most people don't restrain their cats and dogs. Collectively this adds up to a huge impact on the environment which in effect we are the curators of.

As for small minds, I was referring to mine. I'm also a sucker for deep loving eyes. I was merely pointing out that snakes can also hypnotize, as does your cat. It doesn't love you, it simply knows when it is on a good wicket.

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    This is what I was saying. Thanks Peter.
    I am aware that people in other parts of the world don't seem to realise what their cat does to the environment while they aren't watching it.
    A study done in Australia in the 70's showed that the most well fed "tame" cats still had 17% of their diet consisting of native birds and animals. It is no different in other parts of the world. Keep a cat if you want. This is fine, just don't allow it to run free in an unenclosed space or always have it on a lead.
    I have deep compassion for the welfare of all animals, including the cat. I'm constantly made aware of my effect on the environment.

I'm not anti-cat as you infer. My animals of choice are all wild and free. This is their place as well. If a kangaroo or emu kicks my mother's chook pen down, I simply rebuild it. I'm living in their space and have to share it. There is no such thing as a tame cat or dog. Hence the term, "bite the hand that feeds it".

It is simplistic to point out that if you keep an animal out of its natural environment, you are a zookeeper.

David has pointed out that he does contain his cat or restrain it. I applaud the fact that he does. I was simply pointing out that if the cat was allowed to roam free it will be a mini lion or tiger. Around the world most people don't restrain their cats and dogs. Collectively this adds up to a huge impact on the environment which in effect we are the curators of.

As for small minds, I was referring to mine. I'm also a sucker for deep loving eyes. I was merely pointing out that snakes can also hypnotize, as does your cat. It doesn't love you, it simply knows when it is on a good wicket.
    Rough..... I wish folks here would use their real name.

Not only do I enjoy cats, I also enjoy all animals. Especially those in the wild. Besides birds, my favourite go to are snakes and my wife likes frogs. When I was very young, my Mom taught me how to capture garter snakes and hold them and observe them.

All the best.

David
    David S

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: David S)

Thanks to all who engaged in this little discussion about cats or other thoughts on our minds that encompass anything fit to post here.

May I please remind our readers the Member News and Views was started October 26, 2010 - by me so we may discuss other things than of a horologic nature. My thought is we have done darn well with nearly 300.000 hits, untold postings and replies during the period the MN&V has thrived beyond my wildest dreams…and, I dream pretty good.

Many people who are keepers of a feline [cat] keep them strictly as a house pet and in the home. My cat Johnnie II has never been outside of the house since she was adopted over eight years ago. In fact, when the doorbell rings or a visitor comes into the house my cat disappears and hides.

As a cat, her beauty is undeniable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0307.jpg  

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: David S)

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Rough..... I wish folks here would use their real name.

David
    It is Peter.

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    It is Peter.
    Thank you Peter.

David
    David S