Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Sunshine in our lives

I really wonder how many of our near to 14,000 NAWCC members have computers and take the time to look at our Forum Members News and Views.

I do know yesterday I took time to wish each of them a Happy, healthy new year. In return I counted five [5] members that wished the same.

Knowing it to be the Holiday Season, really I did not expect a lot more than a few [six including me] to wish each other a happy, healthy new year.

It does not surprise me to see such few replies; many people have many other things to worry about this coming year. The list of problems that quite a few of face could be and is often endless in its scope.

That being said…perhaps, the sun will shine tomorrow as it has done for eons. And that people across the wide expanse of this world we live in…will find time to enjoy a little sunshine in their lives.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: dweiss17)

We are to a new year Dan, all the best in 2017.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Happy New Year, Dan - and all of the members who read this forum!

Registered user.

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: PatH)

Happy New Year and don't forget to look at the sun and be happy.

Blog Entries

In trying to keep the Members News and Views alive; I interesting, I do a lot of posting. But it is very disheartening when you you get 2-3 or very few replies to your post. Yet you see hits on that post that can number over a hundred with very few words in return.

Maybe, I expect too much from our membership. Or my posts are too stupid to reply too. Are we all so busy that we cannot spend a few moments to post a reply. Or am I still too much of a dreamer?

I think it is the nature of the net, that more reading than commenting is done. Look at any thread, I'm sure you will find many many more have read than commented.

My passion is early English longcase, the earlier the better, but there are just a handful on here interested enough in them to comment. It doesn't stop me adding details of them to this fantastic resource, because someday I hope somebvody else who shares my passion will find the information useful.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dweiss17 View Post
    In trying to keep the Members News and Views alive; I interesting, I do a lot of posting. But it is very disheartening when you you get 2-3 or very few replies to your post. Yet you see hits on that post that can number over a hundred with very few words in return.

Maybe, I expect too much from our membership. Or my posts are too stupid to reply too. Are we all so busy that we cannot spend a few moments to post a reply. Or am I still too much of a dreamer?
    Dan, do you make a reply to every thread you read on the message board?
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Harold:

More than often or not...a reply is not called for or required by the reader of your post.

I am more than willing to reply to a post that needs a reply.

Harold, does a post..."Me too." really require a reply?

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Dan, I am just pointing out that most of your threads do not require a reply by everyone who reads them.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Happy New Year Dan,

As others have mentioned, many, many folks read the various threads but a very small percentage actually respond with a post.

I am active in the clock repair forum. Now while I don't have near the experience of some there, I feel I should try and give back, in appreciation for all the information that I have received. Often it will just be a different way to do something based on the equipment and experience that I have. Usually not a lot of feedback. Sometimes folks don't agree with my approach. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. If it works for me and it may help another person that is in the same boat, then fine by me.

Now regarding your Threads. I have in the past responded to your post, thinking that it would start an interesting conversation with you. However my posts to you usually just go unanswered. Sort of like a one handed hand shake.

Just keep posting what you think is interesting. If there are many views then that means that people are enjoying our great forum.

All the best

David
    David S

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: David S)

Dan i have commented as well to you, but you dont reply to me, i have many posting and very few replies, its just how the mb is, people are busy and we all have different interests. I do enjoy reading your posts. Sometimes i do not reply if the subject is cats, as i dont like them, but have no problems with people that have them as pets.

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: Kevin W.)

Hey Kevin.... I am a cat lover..They are awesome, low maintenance, independent and only interface with us humans when they want to.....Hmmm why again do I love them? Dunno.

Happy New Year.

David
    David S

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sunshine in our lives (By: David S)

Happy New Year David, yes i knew you are a cat lover. I have never liked them, to each his own.

Blog Entries

So why do not about 10 of us members get together and agree each one will make a post far from horology once a week...maybe that would be the start of more posting and response.

Let me start it...many years ago I had a ten dollar bill that said [I think] payable in GOLD. I know I spent the bill without ever trying to get gold for it. And, recently a coin collector gave me a half dollar coin that was dated on my birth year of 1915.

It was copied and posted on this Forum.

Blog Entries

Overall i am more interested in this web site for educational reasons,not really here to socialize, i do that on Facebook. Although Dan i do enjoy reading your postings, you have had a very interesting life.