Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2966 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    MAG

Default Francoise Odobez Clock Operation Question

I have just registered with this site because I bought a really neat wall clock that says "Francois Desire Odobez" on the glass front. The person I bought it from said it was not working. I put it on the wall put on the long pendulum and these 2 heavy weights and it's keeping close to perfect time. There is a large bell on the top of the case that rings on the hour and half hour. The weights don't move. They are each attached to a green cord that's wrapped around wheels and they are wound up tight. The case has a door on each side. There are 2 key holes through the glass front but no key. Anyway, shouldn't the weights be dropping or something like that. The key holes look like they go through to the wheels that hold the weights. Can someone please give me some information on the proper operation of this clock. Thank You. Mag

MAG

Default Francoise Odobez Clock Operation Question (RE: MAG)

I have just registered with this site because I bought a really neat wall clock that says "Francois Desire Odobez" on the glass front. The person I bought it from said it was not working. I put it on the wall put on the long pendulum and these 2 heavy weights and it's keeping close to perfect time. There is a large bell on the top of the case that rings on the hour and half hour. The weights don't move. They are each attached to a green cord that's wrapped around wheels and they are wound up tight. The case has a door on each side. There are 2 key holes through the glass front but no key. Anyway, shouldn't the weights be dropping or something like that. The key holes look like they go through to the wheels that hold the weights. Can someone please give me some information on the proper operation of this clock. Thank You. Mag

I believe you have a French made clock by the Odobez family of clockmakers. They're still making clocks in much the same way as they did a hundred years ago in the Ural mountains of the Comte province near the Swiss border.

It's called a "Morbier" because that's the name of the village where most were made. They are rugged and dependable and made to run for a hundred years with little care.

Hang it high up on the wall, the weights will extend about five feet in eight days.

A peculiar character of the Morbier and the smaller Morez is that most strike the hour twice on the hour. This just to let you know the hour in case you didn't hear it the first time!

Until about 1900 most were sold uncased as yours, to be set in a case made by a local carpenter. After about WWI, they began to be shipped complete in a case as freight transportation in the area became available.

Enjoy your uncased Morbier. Many are simply not cased but keep it free of dust anyway.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

chasbaz

I think Les meant 'Jura' rather than 'Ural'. That would make it the first Russian Morbier :biggrin:

MAG

Thank you so much. I have it high on the wall. So are you saying that there is not a key for these types of clocks? (where it looks like key winds through the glass front? So these weights help to keep the time running? Thanks again. MAG

Mag. The drive weights will descend slowly and you should wind them back up weekly.

The winding key is more like a crank than a key to be twisted. The weights are normally very heavy and not ameniable to winding with a key.

And thanks to chasbaz for the geography lesson.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

MAG

I am so impressed. When I got up this morning, the weights had dropped several inches and the clock's time is perfect. I can't thank you enough because this is really a beautiful clock. I'll try and find a crank for it. I hope to enjoy this clock for many years to come. Thanks again for all of your help. MAG

Hello,

Like Les and Chasbaz tell us, Morbier came from
    the french area of Jura.

This french clock are called also, Morez or Comtoise.

Morez is a village where this clocks was produced.

It´s very frecuent to find this kind of clocks in France and in Spain also. I guess also in other european countrys.

This kind of clocks have a solid mechanism and can have bell or gong.

Sometimes you find Morez clocks with calendar.

Normaly this clocks runs for 8 days, but not all clocks have the same duration (of course for the same hight from the floor).

I have 3 antiques Morez clocks in my clocks collection and I´m very happy with this.

A friend of mine have a Morez clock with the name Odobez in the dial. In this case it´s a new Morez clock.

Personaly I prefer antiques Morez clocks. For me have more interest, but this is only a personal opinion.

New Morez dials are quite planes, and antiques Morez dials are normaly with more curvature. That curvature are very nice.

Antiques Morez dials has relief in the numbers, but new dials are ussualy without this. Digital methods are use in some new dial numbers. That´s not good for people like me that love antiques clocks.

You can have a len a see the numbers.

You can have diferent Morez pendulums. There are the tipical brass lyra style, and brass stamped pendulum also.

Another posibility it´s to have a brass stamped pendulum with an automaton in it. Normaly this pendulum has decorative paintings on it.

It´s frecuent to find names in the Morez dials.
    Theses names are the clock seller shop, and the place where this shop were.

You can visit this page about Morez clocks:

Morez clocks

You can see bellow a Morez clock with automatons.

Kind regards,
    Miguel

What´s the meaning of life?

MAG:
    Hi and welcome to the board. Timesaver has the winding key for these clocks. Page 7 of there on line catalogue. Shown in the upper right hand corner of the page. The problem is there are 5 different sizes. Perhaps you can find a local clock repair shop to size the key for you. I have a comtoise and it is a a very nice, accurate clock.

Tom Kloss of Tom's Clocks

Timesavers link
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser