Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Reproduction (By: thewiseknitter)

Please show a photo of the movement. It doesn't look Chinese from the photo you have posted but it's not very clear.

JTD

Default Re: Reproduction (By: JTD)

Yep, it was made in China, so labeled on the back. Including the movement.
    I guess what I wanted to know was the case style it was patterned after.

Default Re: Hello from a new person (By: shutterbug)

Ok, I was looking at Hermle clocks online and saw a clock that looked like my Chinese clock
    It's a reproduction of a Hermle Bracket clock.

Default Re: Hello from a new person (By: thewiseknitter)

Hello again. I won this one day cuckoo clock at auction. It was missing three things, the weight, the pendulum,
    and the chains. All which are easy to replace. So I took it to my local clock shop, and she put the chain
    on, found a pair of weights and a pendulum.
    Its been running well and I love it. But I didn't realize how persnickity a cuckoo could be!. lol
    The gal at the clock shop told me, once you get it hung, don't mess
    with it, except to wind it. I don't know the maker of this clock. There are no marks that tells me anything
    but made in West Germany. Anyway, here is a picture of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170112_193101_083.jpg  

Without seeing any of the movement, all that is certain (because it is marked West Germany) is that is was made between roughly 1950 and 1990. The design hasn't really changed much since the 19th century. If I had to guess, I would say yours dates from the 1970s, but cannot say for certain. It may well have been made by Josef Burger Söhne (Regula) who made thousands of such clocks.

It might have been better to have started a new thread for your cuckoo clock. This is because you have raised questions about four clocks in this thread without any hint in the heading of the thread as to what they are. It makes it difficult for researchers in years to come - at least so I have found when trying to research various clocks. You can open as many threads as you like, but it is really helpful to keep one thread to one clock or clock type.

Please don't take this as a criticism - it is just a suggestion - and it is great to hear from you and I hope you will keep on posting any clock questions you may have in the future.

JTD

Default Re: Hello from a new person (By: JTD)

JTD, thanks for the suggestion. I did try to start a new thread about my clocks at one point, but the
    administrator merged the threads together. So that is why I didn't.
    I figured the cuckoo might have been made in the 70's. But really who made it and when it was made
    doesn't really concern me that much. I just threw it out there. I love my clock and am enjoying having
    it.

People who love clocks like to chat about them.

Good to see.

Default Re: Hello from a new person (By: roughbarked)

roughbarked, so true. In this day and age of all things digital, to me there is nothing like a mechanical clock(s).
    My husband and I have our two cell phones, a digital clock in the bedroom, and the computer. But we don't go
    for all the latest and greatest digital gadgets.
    Mechanical clocks remind us of the days when things were simpler. A person can't have too many clocks.

Yes but I've got a shed full.

It is so sad to see so many tossed away, so I'm like one of those hoarders on TV but it is clock parts I'm stepping over and around, not newspapers.

Default Re: Reproduction (By: shutterbug)

Hello again. Thought I would post new pictures of a clock I purchased. When I saw this online,
    I just couldn't resist. Its just so cute.
    It is an 8 day chain and weight driven Dutch Ship Clock made in 1973 with a moon phase.
    It has a cutout of a ships wheel and the pendulum is an anchor.
    It seems to be running quite well. The only thing I had to do is take it to the clock shop because
    somehow the chain got jammed in the mechanism. I also took some polish to the weights and
    they are nice and shiny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170317_170235_792.jpg   IMG_20170317_164742_897.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Reproduction (By: shutterbug)

I am in the same boat Richie, hope some neices and nephews show some interest some day.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/