Goal: $300, Received: $215.00 (72%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: 101 years

Blog Entries

Default 101 years

101 years - December 11, 2016

In a recent post one of our newest and youngest members asked me what I had accomplished in my long life. Living to this age and still in much better than average health for anyone this old, I cannot claim this accomplishment. Rather, it comes from an inheritance of good genes and long life in the Weiss family. Most of the family lived into their eighties; my father died at 66, my mother at 71. All my eight siblings lived long, except for two brothers and their wives who perished when their English Boac Airliner broke apart due to stress fractures over Mt. Fuji. One brother died in his fifties.

My other siblings (brothers) lived well into their eighties, so did all the other blood related family. One sister remains from a family of nine children; she, in a state of dementia at age 97. Since this past posting she has passed away.

In my long life, I have experienced many accomplishments; I think my parents would be proud to know their son Daniel; a life-long stutterer had President Reagan sign into law [a Proclamation] May 8, 1988, that came from his mind, [although carried out by others.] The second week of every May is now known as “National Stuttering Awareness Week.” And it took hold overseas, and many countries celebrate it for one day every October 22nd.

Among 318 other National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors members…we hold 50 years or more of fellow membership in a total of about 180,000 members who have come and gone over the years of our NAWCC association. During those many years I have not been idle; discovering the only Howard pocket watch to ever leave the factory un-engraved (pilfered by a factory worker who used an O’Hara dial and other hands to disguise its look.) The Adams and Perry Watch Manufacturing saga also come from my pen…with others adding important points and serial numbers,

Without my input, we would never have the NAWCC Members News and Views, the 50 year Virtual Plaques, the Founders Plaque…denoting our 52 horologically inclined people who founded this association and Museum. The yearly NAWCC Calendar started in 2007, featuring watches and clocks collected by our NAWCC members and those in the Museum collection…their sales enabling to help our constant need for funding. On another personal note; the 1943 NAWCC Heritage Society will be a beneficiary in the years to come.

As a long time NAWCC member, I owe this association more than I can ever repay it - for the many years of pleasure, learning and history and meeting and knowing so many other fellow members with whom I came into contact in sharing this all consuming hobby and benefiting from their friendship.

In reading a subject about longevity, I learned five-to-six women outlive their male counterparts to this age. It also happens most women do outlive their man. Go into any restaurant you will see more women groups having a meal than many men.

Default Re: 101 years (By: dweiss17)

In our local paper this week, it showed a woman who is believed to be the only person still living who was born in the 1800's. She was celebrating 115 years. I forget which country she lives in.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: 101 years (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    In our local paper this week, it showed a woman who is believed to be the only person still living who was born in the 1800's. She was celebrating 115 years. I forget which country she lives in.
    I saw that too. It was Italy, and she was 117 years old. 115 wouldn't be old enough to be born in the 1800's. Earlier this week I was watching a movie made in 1930, and thought to myself everyone in this movie is older than Dan (no children in it).
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: 101 years (By: harold bain)

Yes, 117 years. Thanks, Harold! I get those thoughts too, when viewing old movies and pictures. Time flies by too fast!
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

NAWCC Communications Director

Default Re: 101 years (By: dweiss17)

Quote Originally Posted by dweiss17 View Post
    101 years - December 11, 2016
    Happiest of birthdays, Dan! Many happy returns.

Best wishes,

Markus
    Markus Harris
    Communications Director (NAWCC)