Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Silas Hoadley 30 Hour Crime

I'm delighted to have this great simple grandfather -- a 30-hour Hoadley with no calendar mechanism. Can you imagine the mindset that would butcher such a beautiful piece of early American craftsmanship? If anyone has a pile of the right parts, I'd be so glad to put this thing back in order --- and obliterate any sign of what happened to it in the name of "progress" and "convenience". I have a complete Hoadley grandfather movement, but it is of the calendar sort, so I'd rather not splice in the wrong thing (again) in this poor clock's life! It's been through enough already! Yikes. Gotta love the challenge!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7211.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	854.9 KB 
ID:	324114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7210.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	673.8 KB 
ID:	324115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7209.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	673.9 KB 
ID:	324116

Default Re: Silas Hoadley 30 Hour Crime (By: David D'Apice)

Quote Originally Posted by David D'Apice View Post
    I'm delighted to have this great simple grandfather -- a 30-hour Hoadley with no calendar mechanism. Can you imagine the mindset that would butcher such a beautiful piece of early American craftsmanship? If anyone has a pile of the right parts, I'd be so glad to put this thing back in order --- and obliterate any sign of what happened to it in the name of "progress" and "convenience". I have a complete Hoadley grandfather movement, but it is of the calendar sort, so I'd rather not splice in the wrong thing (again) in this poor clock's life! It's been through enough already! Yikes. Gotta love the challenge!

Name:	IMG_7211.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	854.9 KB 
ID:	324114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7210.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	673.8 KB 
ID:	324115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7209.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	673.9 KB 
ID:	324116
    Sadly, such deranged thought processes are all too common.

Some pretty inappropriate "advice" is sometimes provided on the MB, though rarely does it go so far or is it as destructive.

RM

Default Re: Silas Hoadley 30 Hour Crime (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Sort of like a very nice banjo clock I received in a few years ago, with a very similar movement in it and a hole drilled in the bottom of the case for the power cord. Nice original dial, original hands used but chopped up to fit the electrical movement, cross banded door and throat, very early step mitered with dovetails.......heartbreaking....

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Had a customer bring me a similar "clock" a number of years ago. They had inherited it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0125.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	324172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0126.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	324173  
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Silas Hoadley 30 Hour Crime (By: harold bain)

One of mine was once converted to quartz, but fortunately they kept the movement , they lost the hand and lift arm.

Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Just think of the wonderful Litchfield Mfg. clock you recently posted.

Another sad example of stupid horological vandalism.

RM

Default Re: Silas Hoadley 30 Hour Crime (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

RM --- right ---- I've got a note over to the American Clock and Watch museum to try to get photos of their Litchfield clock so I can locate a somewhat similar movement to what it should have been -- I've got to try -- these pieces are too cool not to.

I'm determined not to give up on the original plates from this clock --- all that was left was a dog leg plate and the big chunk was cut out (hacked) ---- I found a Hoadley front plate in my scrap bin and spliced it in as best as possible. The holes appear to line up at first analysis -- it isn't pretty, but I was determined not to give up on the tiny fragment of the original plate!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7218.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	1,021.8 KB 
ID:	324542

Here's what I've been able to find all over the cellar ---- the first photo is a closeup of the plates with a time side great wheel, barrel, clutch and motion works drive gear. I've even got the second wheel (even though it's missing a pinion leaf (yuck). The second photo is everything that seems strike-like --- looks like a choice of great wheels, and a few other -- no flywheel, but a few lift levers (I have a few more of those too) --- the last photo is what I believe might have been a wheel #3 for the time side (split in two). I've also got a few parts I could get together to make an escape wheel again. Some scraps. Sorry for the quality of my photos. It's really a swiss-cheese collection of parts at this point. I was so glad just to get ONE great wheel in between the plates. That must be one out of about two dozen items. I've got a long way to go. But I am hopeful. I even have an early bell. Not bad considering it had a synchronous motor in it and a dog-leg-plate!

Name:	IMG_7228.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	323.3 KB 
ID:	324763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7229.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	324762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7231.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	324761

Hi everyone. Happy Summer -- I'm glad to report that this movement and clock is together and running!!! Wow. What an adventure. If memory serves me correctly, we used to be able to buy repro pewter hands for these clocks --- try as I have, I can't seem to find a supplier any more -- anyone know of a place to purchase the Hoadley type lead/pewter hands any more? Maybe I'm just dreaming and remembering incorrectly. Perhaps it was S. LaRose? I have a minute hand, just no hour one!

Check with Don Bruno,he is in Connecticut and makes all manner of parts for wooden movements.
    Hope this helps.
    BTW kudos on bringing another one back to life.
    tom
    "keep 'em runnin' "

Default Re: Silas Hoadley 30 Hour Crime (By: tom427cid)

David,

Recently bought a pair of Pewter hands from Don. He does WONDERFUL work, and sometimes even sells his hands on eBay.

Best,

George
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Silas Hoadley 30 Hour Crime (By: George Nelson)

Thanks guys -- I reached out to Don ---- hands on the way!

David,

Great! Pictures, please, of the finished project. My heartiest congrats for taking this very worthy project under your wing and running with it! Few would be so willing to undertake such a project, but we all are quite glad you did!

Best always,

George
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb