Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered user. masterwatchmaker's Avatar

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: masterwatchmaker)

the 1st all american ship chronometer was made in 1812 by mr Bond in Boston then the second one made by mr Bliss so mr Dillon one would be the 3rd one chronometer made from scratch in america

Blog Entries

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: masterwatchmaker)

Hi antiktak,

I believe I owe you an apology, your instrument does appear to be an entirely US product.

Good luck with your restoration, and I hope you'll let us see the end result.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: gmorse)

thank you Graham apologie accepted but it was ok there was no offence

i learn my self also like all the readers my passion for all american chronometer grew alot

here look at a movie about me the special watchmaker with a broken internal clock
    https://vimeo.com/64958844

but its in french ! but you will see my shop in downtown montreal (i dont own it anymore)

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: gmorse)

mr Norman Bliss curator of the virtual John Bliss museum http://blisschron.org/jbliss.html

told me that my dial looks like the dials of Bliss chronometers made by Kullberg after Bliss & Co

so the date of 1867 is more probable for my movement

if my movement was dipped into oil like i think in the ultrasonic bath it will come back like new and i promise you that i will show the photo after my work

i am exited to restore some americana historic piece

if the Bliss chronometer started at 500 like explained in the virtual museum maybe mr Dillon use same strategy and mine in fact could be no 140 in reality

Blog Entries

There were many chronometer makers in the United States including the ones you listed above. Is that text yours or are you quoting someone else?

All of the chronometer makers worked exactly like their English and European counter parts. i.e they made some instruments in house and had many instruments delivered to them by a chronometer house, typically in the UK, with their own name engraved. The reason was that they could make more money selling chronometers of good quality made by others and only needed to make some for prestige.

The "regulator" that they applied to stock chronometers was almost always an improvement to the standard chronometer balance.

I noticed the auction where you purchased your chronometer and I think the price was fair. I recently purchased a John Roger Arnold for about the same price and another American piece by Eggert & Son in a bit better condition that is currently being restored. I will not likely restore the Arnold because it needs a bit too much work. I collect these pieces both as machines to enjoy and as documents of the history of the art. They do not all need to be running for that purpose.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: Tom McIntyre)

some of texte were mine and some from that page http://blisschron.org/jbliss.html

john Bliss virtual museum i contacted mr Norman Bliss the curator

for my self i am the only one of my watchmaking scool to win a scolarship to study in switzerland at LausanneC.F.H. all fees paid 10 430.00cdn$ no other student received any i got it because it was the years of the youth and it was in 1985 so there was some budget for overseas study

Sorry for using a wrong term, English is not my native tongue. I meant the "helical spring+compensated balance wheel" component. What does one call it? Controller? Oscillator?

Marco

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: Marco C.)

oscillator is fine Marco :-)

Blog Entries

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: Marco C.)

Hi Marco,

The jargon can catch all of us out from time to time! The usual term is "the balance assembly", and the various extra parts sometimes added to the balance wheel, mostly to reduce middle temperature error, are collectively called "compensators", although not all of them actually compensate.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Blog Entries

Antiktak, was that your "very first Patek secret wristwatch brought in from Ukraine 322253442587" listed on fleabay for half a million? There seems to be a lot of very rare and unique pieces from Ukraine.
    Tick Talk

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: tick talk)

hi tick talk

yes its mine might be ordered by tsar alexanderII to patek

- - - Updated - - -

i had to change my name but its me whom was antiktak

the tsars were very interested in fine watchmaking and they loved repeaters and when the revolution apear all watches disapear and they are still in russia some how