Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user. masterwatchmaker's Avatar

Default marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867

i have this chronometer very rare because made in new york U.S.A.by dillon & tuttle serial number of 640

Google say about him (Thomas Edward Dillon)
    He left home at the early age of fourteen, and went to Troy, N. Y., where he served an apprenticeship of seven years with Oscar Hanks, at mathematical instrument making. At the expiration of his apprenticeship he left Troy, and went to Albany, where he worked till 1844. In that year he was married to his forst and only wife - Deborah Ann Sharp, of New Baltimore, Green Co., N. Y.

He moved with his wife to Brooklyn, L. I., and worked a short time with a firm on Broadway, New York City. After leaving there he was engaged by Bliss & Craton, chronometer makers, in Fulton Street, the same city, and worked with them until 1849 or 1850, when he left to go in partnership in the same business with Calvin Kline. They opened a store in Williamsburgh, L. I., and from there moved to Fulton Street; then to 74 Wall Street, where Mr. D. remained until his death. He finally dissolved partnership with Mr. Kline, and took in with him Mr. Silas Tuttle, un the firm of Dillon & Tuttle. In the fall of '67 Mr. Tuttle retired from the firm, and was succeeded by Edward Openshaw, the firm's name being changed to Dillon & Co.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dillon.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	275.7 KB 
ID:	323976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dillonmvt.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	323977

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: masterwatchmaker)

Hi antikak, it certainly is rare if it is made entirely by Dillion & Tuttle in New York; I love it. Regards Ray

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: Omexa)

thank you Ray !

i seriously think that it may be one of the very first ship chronometer made in U.S.A.1867 is early the famous Hamilton ship chronometer was made long time after mine

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: Omexa)

i belive it was entirely made in u.s.a. because its say he was engaged by Bliss & Craton, chronometer makers, in Fulton Street, the same city(New-York), and worked with them until 1849 or 1850 then started him self to do chronometer of his own

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: masterwatchmaker)

Hi antikak, this is some good advice that I got about my Mercer Chronometer: "Hi Ray, It would be basically an Earnshaw spring detent, but there may be some auxiliaries on the balance. Great care needed when dismantling, that detent and the associated jewels are very fragile. Regards Graham."
    "As Graham said, great care... mostly meaning all power must be removed before disassembly, including the maintaining power, which is often over looked. Ralph" Regards Ray

thank you i work a lot with fusee but its my 1st detent i will use extra care i need to redo the balance staff on my lathe you can see my shop in this movie https://vimeo.com/64958844

Name:	dillon.in.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	324024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dillon.case.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	324025

I am not an expert, but I do not think that in the mid of 1800 there was any other country besides UK and France with a network of craftsmen able to produce a complete chronometer movement. Dillon & Tuttle may have been able to add the regulator, which of course is a very important component, to a British movement (e.g. by Mercer). But I am sure other members can give a more accurate contribution on the matter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: marine ship chronometer made by Dillon & Tuttle in N.Y. u.s.a. arround 1867 (By: Marco C.)

Hi Marco,

I think you're right about the possible origins of this chronometer, (although I'd add Germany to the list), but unsure about what you meant by the regulator, because these instruments are free-sprung, and don't have regulators.

I think antiktak will have a considerable task in restoring this!

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Hi antikak, I just realized where I have seen your Dillon & Tuttle Chronometer before, there were six Chronometers for sale on eBay from one seller and I was thinking of buying some of them. Before I could purchase any of them they disappeared off eBay. Regards Ray

a regulator can also be an very precise clock like «a nice jeweler regulator» usuly they had center seconds hands

and yes Ray your right i saw 4 and i wanned the fletcher one with paladium helicoidal hairspring but didnt win so by dispithefull i then bid on the most complete one (other had no bezel & casing) and it was this one

i will dismantle the spring from the drum and put all in my ultrasound bath for few hours for to take out that focilized oil (someone must dip it in oil long time ago)

i personnaly think that clock was 100% made in U.S.A.

why they says ; he was engaged by Bliss & Craton, «chronometer makers», in Fulton Street, the same city, and worked with them until 1849 or 1850

i just find out that it was made 100% in amerika

EARLY CHRONOMETERS

Almost certainly John Bliss and Frederick Creighton had the manufacture of chronometers in mind when they became partners in 1835. Chronometers are very accurate portable timekeepers developed around 1780 which until recently were essential for navigation at sea. By 1839 they were in production; in 1840 they had submitted nos. 501 and 506 for trial at the Naval Observatory in Washington D.C. I suspect that no. 501 is the earliest serial number for a Bliss chronometer as I have not seen any lower. As noted by Whitney, chronometer makers never started with 0, as who would buy something that was obviously a maker's first attempt? It should also be noted that once made, chronometers took several months to several years to settle down to a regular rate so they weren't sold fresh off the bench. Nos. 501 & 506 apparently didn't meet Observatory standards, supporting my view they were among the first produced by Bliss & Creighton. In the beginning they used rough parts made in England but by 1848 they had outfitted their workshop with the machinery needed to make all parts themselves, and then advertised that their chronometers were entirely American made. I believe they were the second company to make chronometers completely in America, William Bond and Son of Boston being the first in 1812. Bond's first chronometer is in the Smithsonian and their chronometer shop is on display there (at least it was when I last visited). Bliss & Creighton was one of the very few American companies capable of making chronometers completely from scratch. John Bliss & Co. later claimed they were the only company able to do this, but it's pretty certain T.S. & J.D. Negus, and perhaps others, also could make chronometers completely in America

Bliss and Creighton
    John Bliss and Frederick Creighton were distinguished chronometer makers who worked in New York from 1837 to 1855. They imported rough movements (also called unfinished movements, movements in the grey, and ébauches) from England and finished them in New York; however, in 1848 they exhibited several of their chronometers at the American Institute's Exhibition in New York that they promoted to be entirely made in America (Randall, 87). John Bliss apprenticed about 1808 to Benjamin Lord in Rutland, Vermont and prior to the partnership with Frederick Creighton worked at 135 Water Street, New York (Voss).

Few examples of pocket watches made by Bliss and Creighton are known. A movement signed Bliss and Creighton, serial no. 19225, is in the American Clock & Watch Museum in Bristol, Ct. The museum also has a movement signed John Bliss, serial no. 2556 with an up-down indicator in its collection. This example is pictured in Cooper's article: John Cairns (1751-1809) and Other Early American Watchmakers (Cooper, 36).

Name:	dillon.boss.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	324086