Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default New member seeking some information..........

Greetings all!

I recently joined after purchasing my very first pocket watch. I have a very small collection of modern wrist watches but was always interested in pocket watches. I came here seeking knowledge and boy did I get it! (It was a very informative thread and I'm already learning.)

As I plan to delve deeper into this new hobby, I'd love some information or knowledge on a few things like;

Is there a good website that tracks values of pocket watches? I don't want to get "taken" or spend too much. Books are usually way off in values. I've done gunsmithing on the side for many years and the values in any of the blue books are usually WAY off true market value.

Is there a better site to find old pocket watches other than eBay? (I've looked on etsy some as well.)

Those are my two main questions. I'm already ordering some books to help me learn to identify specific movements and what they all mean. I've found a few online databases that have rundowns on the various grades and serial numbers. Any friendly help is appreciated. I'm truly excited about learning more and look forward to expanding my collection.

Default Re: New member seeking some information.......... (By: cubetop)

Probably the best way to track values of pocket watches is by searching eBay completed listings. Jones-Horan also allows you to search their past sales for selling prices. I agree that the books tend to not be very accurate.

Default Re: New member seeking some information.......... (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    Probably the best way to track values of pocket watches is by searching eBay completed listings. Jones-Horan also allows you to search their past sales for selling prices. I agree that the books tend to not be very accurate.
    Thank you. My only concern is that eBay could be misleading as novices like myself could tend to overpay on something they know nothing about. I know I overpaid for my very first pocket watch and while I don't mind too much, I'd like to avoid doing so in the future. So far, when I find a watch that is interesting to me on eBay, I delve into websites seeking information on manufacture dates and movement quality. I was hoping that maybe there was another site, auction or not, that specializes more towards timekeeping pieces.

Regardless, this is all very interesting to me. Thank you for the reply.

Yes, take a look at Jones-Horan. As I said, they allow searching on old auctions.

Default Re: New member seeking some information.......... (By: Dave Coatsworth)

You could also look at Fellows of Birmingham England. They are a high volume auctioneer and they sell a lot of American watches. For English watches I would also suggest Gardiner Houlgate of Bath.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

You could check out your closest NAWCC chapter, and perhaps attend one of their meetings to be able to get a hands on experience with watches for sale.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: New member seeking some information.......... (By: harold bain)

All very good advice! Thank you very much for your time and responses.

Blog Entries

All the major auction houses now post their prices realized on-line. Most have two major watch auctions each year in each geographic location where they operate. In particular, Sinners and Bonhams in the U.S. as well as the standard Christie's and Sotheby's.

There are lots of clock auctioneers who also deal in watches R. O Schmitt here in New England and many others who advertise on this web site.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: New member seeking some information.......... (By: Tom McIntyre)

Thank you Tom for the information. I'm having a lot of fun looking up all this stuff. (and buying lots of watches)