Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Blog Entries

Default The Joy of Creating

The Joy of Creating

Many years ago, I was into my “Oil Painting” period. I very well remember art books written by Bob Ross…he went on to write the “Joy of Painting”…a series of large cover soft books explaining how the budding artist should go about in creating his artwork. I still have my paintings hanging on the walls of my home.

Little did I know when I first ran errands for the print shop across the street of our Columbia Avenue house…as a 10 year old kid…that it would lead me to the Joy of Creating. And, even to exercising my aged brain in the 2nd century of my second birthday, in other words…I’ll be going on to my 102nd years of life on December 11, 2016. And, since my knees will not cooperate in the way they did even at age 85…I have taken to exercising the brain by writing about stuff…while it may not be what a learned and educated writer would put down on paper…for me it’s good enough to keep me interested in the next word coming out of my mind. Like…

Running errands for this small print shop at the age of 10 led me to learning the California Job Case, a font of type both in caps and lower case that are held in certain parts of the case where the letters representing the alphabet are stored, both versions in their respective allotted little box area. The characters for punctuation are also provided for. For a kid with a stuttering problem it was a life filled with all the joys that one could wish for. This Graphic Arts phase even led me to my now…my 52nd year of life in the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

Should I go on writing it would involve many pages of printed matter that could be of no value to the reader. For me it relates over 100 years of life that had its ups and downs. It even had an effect, that the President of the United States acted upon and put my name on the ever-long list of Americans who did some good for their country and its citizens as a whole.

Default Re: The Joy of Creating (By: dweiss17)

I remember doing some printing in High School, using the Job Case. I remember that we had to memorize where each letter was, and put them back correctly
    I doesn't seem like that many years ago ... but it was.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.