Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default High End Watch Sales are Falling Rapidly

Perhaps you might want to buy a few of these and put them away.

In 25 years or so they will be in high demand

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...untain-valleys

Default Re: High End Watch Sales are Falling Rapidly (By: Dick C)

It is a very challenging time right now in the new watch business. very challenging
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Registered user.

Sadly, I think the demand will keep declining. These companies are charging a boatload of money for, basically, an outdated technology. Fewer people will go into this field, too.

FBN(Fox Business News) and people that watch the stock market. But not many people can afford to drop $150,000 on a watch. But it stands to reason that a better economy with more people working will increase sales in watches among other things.
    Last edited by MartyR; 12-15-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Default Re: High End Watch Sales are Falling Rapidly (By: Accutronica)

These may be challenging times for sellers of very expensive wristwatches, but a merchant just sent me (a pocket watch collector who does not buy modern watches) a hardbound catalog offering such brand new necessities as these:

• An Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Tourbillion for $215,900
    • A Christopher Claret X-TREM-1 for $282,000
    • A Christopher Claret Soprano for $500,000
    • A Greubel Forsey QP a Equation Millesime for $750,000
    • A Harry Winston Histoire de Tourbillion 7 for $586,000
    • A Hyt H3 for $290,000
    • An extremely garish Jacob & Co. Caviar Arlequino for $1.1 million
    • A Jacob & Co. Epic-X Tourbillion Baguette Diamonds for $600,000

I suspect that these prices are very negotiable as evidenced from a little note in the catalog that said if I used my American Express Platinum card to make a $5,000 or more purchase, I'd get a $2,000 discount.

Reviewing the pricing made me again wonder why solid gold watches are so much more expensive than the same watch cased in steel or another non-precious metal. For example, a Carl Bucherer Manero FlyBack in steel sells for "just" $8,700. The same watch in 18k sells for nearly $13,000 more, $21,400. I could understand it selling for $1,000 - $2,000 more because of the value of the gold, but nearly $13,000 more? This extremely high premium for solid gold is not unique to Bucherer.

Quote Originally Posted by Teccutronix View Post
    FBN(Fox Business News) and people that watch the stock market. But not many people can afford to drop $150,000 on a watch. But it stands to reason that a better economy with more people working will increase sales in watches among other things.
    Most people use mobile phones.
    I rarely see expensive watches. I also rarely see a person wearing a watch.

Registered user.

Default Re: High End Watch Sales are Falling Rapidly (By: roughbarked)

Maybe you need look more, still plenty of people using watches around here, it's more convenient than a phone, you don't have to take it out your pocket to read the time.

I still service vintage watches, lot's of battery changes, I see everything from cheap to very expensive.

Default Re: High End Watch Sales are Falling Rapidly (By: dAz57)

Quote Originally Posted by dAz57 View Post
    Maybe you need look more, still plenty of people using watches around here, it's more convenient than a phone, you don't have to take it out your pocket to read the time.

I still service vintage watches, lot's of battery changes, I see everything from cheap to very expensive.
    I service a lot more watches than I'd have been led to believe having been forced out of the local industry forty years ago and only now back because I'm the only watchmaker left. I work on watches and clocks from 2 to 3 hundred years old but not every day. I'd probably see three or four a year.

Most of what I do is push batteries into all plastic riveted movements. Between that and the cuckoo clocks I barely get time to do much antique work during the working week.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 12-14-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    Most people use mobile phones.
    I rarely see expensive watches. I also rarely see a person wearing a watch.
    I used to be one of them that didn't like anything on my fingers or wrists. I wear watches now, but I still hate to wear rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Teccutronix View Post
    I used to be one of them that didn't like anything on my fingers or wrists. I wear watches now, but I still hate to wear rings.

I wear no rings but on occasion I may wear watches on both wrists for testing purposes. Otherwise I don't wear watches mostly though I have an overflowing stable of them. When I'm away from the bench I'm doing everything I keep telling customers they should take their watch off to do.

At the very least, analog watches are being relegated to the very expensive models for those like a like a little time-telling bling. I've thought for years that mechanical watches would be facing challenging times due to a move away from visible machines and do-it-yourselfers. In the past, even if one didn't work on their own machine, they had an appreciation for what went into it to get it working for its stated purpose. Today, so many things are non-serviceable, and what can be self-repaired, are disguised, and fastened together, to dissuade anybody doing their own work.

In short, it's about the appreciation of machines that past generations had, that present ones, and probably future generations, will not share. This is sad, but will probably only get worse. I would guess that the NAWCC, AWCI, and other entities probably have data that shows the average age of membership. My guess would be that it's going up every year. If, and when, that reverses, perhaps the trend will reverse, and "real watches" will again be in demand. Time will tell.

Until then, as old collectors know, collect the best you can afford, and enjoy what you have. Cheers.

I wear no rings but on occasion I may wear watches on both wrists for testing purposes. Otherwise I don't wear watches mostly though I have an overflowing stable of them. When I'm away from the bench I'm doing everything I keep telling customers they should take their watch off to do.
    Why have them if you don't want to wear them? I love to wear mine because it has the numbers in Roman Numerals. I don't know why but that's the only kind of dial I like. And the so-called spaceview means nothing to me - I have all kinds of electronics, and my oscilloscope to play with.
    I would have a PW with regular numbers on the dial, but not a WW unless I got it cheap and figured that I could make some money on it.
    Who knows, maybe watches will come back in vogue in a big way and you can make some good money selling some of your collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    Why have them if you don't want to wear them?
    I wear watches but not when doing things that may damage them. Things that I do every day. For example, there's no way I'd wear a watch in the shower or swimming. I'm not a diver so I don't need such watches.

Most or almost all of my watches are those that customers left behind decades past and never returned to pick them up. I've never actiually purchased a watch. The boss gave me a Revue Cerebus when I finished my apprenticeship. It annoyed me greatly as I wished for a Certina DS or any Certina.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 12-16-2016 at 04:36 PM.

I wear watches but not when doing things that may damage them. Things that I do every day. For example, there's no way I'd wear a watch in the shower or swimming. I'm not a diver so I don't need such watches.

Most or almost all of my watches are those that customers left behind decades past and never returned to pick them up. I've never actiually purchased a watch. The boss gave me a Revue Cerebus when I finished my apprenticeship. It annoyed me greatly as I wished for a Certina DS or any Certina.
    I thought you meant that you don't wear them when going out in public and such. I hope the watches that the customers left behind are worth more than the work you did to them.
    That's the first time I've heard of those watches.

A Certina DS would have been awesome. I bought a 'apprenticeship completed' watch off a watchmaker a few years back - I thought he was the luckiest bugger as it was a Nivada Chronomaster with a Valjoux 22. Mine now! He made me promise I'd never take it to his former employer to get serviced.