Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mercer Chronometer? (By: Omexa)

Hi, Skutt50 lives in Gothenburg and very kindly did a lot of research for me about C L Malmsjo & Co, Goteborg. I have his permission to Post it on the Forum. Re: C L Malmsjö & Co. of Göteborg (Sweden)
    "Hi Omexa,

Malmsjö is a well known watchmaker here in Gothenburg. I have not been there myself but the shop seems still to be active. Here is the current address etc: (I did not find a home page but I was referenced to a group of watchmakers called "Stjärnurmakarna". It appears that Malmsjö have left the group because they are no longer mentioned on the Stjärnurmakarna home page!)

Malmsjö Ur AB
    Götgatan 5
    41 05 Götrborg
    Tel: 031-158828
    Fax 031-151740

I have serviced several wall clocks with his label on. (Label with date of sales and warranty.)

Malmsjö has been around "for ever"! I have found some traces back to the 19 century:
    Picture of one of the owners bottom left: http://runeberg.org/gbgpg/stad/0416.html
    Old ad: http://runeberg.org/illuvagvis/0075.html

Carl Ludvig Malmsjö had 5 employees in 1845 and 1846. In 1846 he made an astronomical pendelum watch at the cost of 400 SEK (which is about 45USD) which of course was a lot more back then.

Carl Ludvig Malmsjö was born 19 may 1813 and died 10 may 1891.
    There were four brothers and they were born in Röstlånga in Skåne provins in southern Sweden.

His brother Carl Gustav Malmsjö was a piano maker and there Malmsjö Musick where my parents bought a piano when I was small. (I still have it) (I also bought music sheets there when I was young....)
    One brother was binding books. (I don't know this profession in English but he made the covers of books.

Another note I found was about his workshop. It started in 1841 at an address Södra Hamngatan 29 and was located there for more than 100 years.

He started with production of "box clocks" to compete with American made import, but it allegedly did not go that well.
    Here is a picture of one of these clocks: http://www.antikviteter.net/antikpra...tml?1269853185

In 1860 he employed a Herman Henrik Hallgren who became a co owner in 1870 and there after the company was named "C.L. Malmsjö & Co". In 1879 Henrik took over the company.
    Picture of Henrik Hallgren: https://www.geni.com/people/Henrik-H...00009763627443

The current location seems to be inside a shopping mall, not very far from where it all started back in 1841 but I don't think Google Street view will work inside! I have no plans to go down there. (It is in the center of the city and crowded with people, traffic jam and poor expensive parking....)

I hope this gives you some insight to Malmsjö & Co. I did not find any picture of Malmsjö and several owners have run the business since it was founded but it seems to still exist.....

Good luck with your clock.

Best Regards/Skutt50" Regards RayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	C L Malmsjo & Co.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	323814
    Last edited by Omexa; 11-29-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Default Re: Mercer Chronometer? (By: JTD)

Has anyone got a photo of an Escape Wheel for this Chronometer? The one in my one seems to be very worn. Regards Ray

Blog Entries

Hi Ray,

Can you post a picture of it please? It should look like this, (from Wikipedia). There's another set of images here, and here.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Mercer Chronometer? (By: itspcb)

Hi Graham, here is the photo; I wonder if Mercer can supply another one? Regards RayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020478.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	325360

Blog Entries

Hi Ray,

At some stage the escapement has "run away", probably due to a broken locking stone; what state are the locking stone and the impulse roller in? I don't know if anyone can supply a NOS wheel, but I know a man who could make one, (at a price!).

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Mercer Chronometer? (By: gmorse)

Hi Graham, one Balance Pivot is Broken and the other is Bent; I can sort that out. That is probably when it "run away", "what state are the locking stone and the impulse roller in?". they seem to be OK. I have asked Mercer if they can supply an Escape Wheel. Regards RayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20161213_070232.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	325363

Hi, Mercer do not have an Escape Wheel. Does anyone know the Diameter of a Mercer Escape Wheel? Regards Ray

Blog Entries

Have you looked at the Russian ones on eBay? I do not do repairs, but I would think that the distance from the escape wheel pivot line to the impulse stone and the resting position of the detent locking stone would give you an accurate measure of what you need in the escape wheel.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Hi Tom, do you sit in a Striped Tent at Village Fairs and Shows and read minds? I was just looking at; Russian marine Chronometer (KIROVA, POLET) spare part.
    Gear wheel of a running wheel.
    Fleet wheel D- 10,85 mm
    Outside D- 13,4 mm
    number of teeth -15 st. I will measure my one to see the difference. The seller was less than honest with me and just described the Chronometer as not running. When I sell a movement I state the problems with it. I did not pay a lot for it. Are the Russian marine Chronometers a copy of Mercer? Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	325504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	325505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	325506Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  25.3 KB

Blog Entries

I don't think so but escape wheels are all pretty similar. I think Kirova may be related to GUB.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Registered User Allan C. Purcell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mercer Chronometer? (By: gmorse)

Hi Ray,

I too am pleased you are fit and well. Thought you might like to look at your chronometer dial and notice the up and down dial, which tells you it will run for 56 hours.
    Below is a photograph of the eight day version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	325750

Keep fit,

Regards,

Allan.

PS: May I take this chance to wish all members a very Merry Christmas and Happay New Year.

Registered User Allan C. Purcell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mercer Chronometer? (By: Allan C. Purcell)

Since writing the above, the thread moved a whole page. I noticed your question about the Russians copying a Mercer chronometer. Don´t go there Ray, you will have to spend years reading books on German chronometers. Quick answer the Germans first copied the English and were pleased to do so, till a little man with an odd tash said we will have a chronometer that is ALL GERMAN, firms like Wempe, and Adolf Langer solved the problem for him, then the war and at the end of it the Russians took all they could lay their greedy hands on including Langers factory back to good old Moscow. Oh and the Germans were not happy then-and they are not now. (So now you know why Russian chronometers are so good).

Regards,

Allan.

Hi Allan, thank you for your advice; I am not sure if I have done the right thing but I just purchased a set of Hands for a Russian marine chronometer (KIROVA,POLET) spare part . I have no Hands for my Mercer so I thought that some Hands are better than none; the chance of getting Mercer Hands was nil. I only paid $62.00 Australian for them. I am sure that I can do any alterations to the Hands as needed. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hands 1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	327790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hands Chronometer.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	327791

Hi, I just got an answer about this Chronometer from Cdr Peter John Linstead-Smith OBE RN; He is always so helpful. Regards Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mercer Chronometer.PNG 
Views:	47 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	328725