Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Astronomical skeleton clock

Last month I went to Australia to visit the firm of Buchanan where the commission for an astronomical skeleton clock has been placed and design and construction has been taking place for the past seven years. Many of you may have been following the progress on my website at www.my-time-machines.net and some are on the monthly email update. If you want to be added, email me from the link on my site. When I was there I took a lot of good quality videos and made a montage of the clock giving the viewer the best overview of the clock to date. Although it looks complete, we still have about two years to go, still have the planisphere, orrery, and sun and moon rise, set complications. Then the case and stand, polishing, plating...

The YouTube link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWd-HSOxCMM

If you'd like the full 2 GB HD video file it will be on wetranfer.com for the next few days at: https://we.tl/nizkINiKvt

I hope you will enjoy it. For anyone who has actually fabricated a clock or use machine tools in any way you will appreciate the skill and effort that had gone into this machine and why it has taken so many years.

Mark Frank

Registered user.

Default Re: Astronomical skeleton clock (By: M. Frank)

The engineering of such a clock is way beyond me.
    Wow!
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Astronomical skeleton clock (By: Tinker Dwight)

For anybody who hasn't checked this out: it is MINDBLOWING! I've been following it monthly for quite a while now, and still can't believe both Mark's dedication and Buchanan's skill and determination.

Johnny

Default Re: Astronomical skeleton clock (By: John MacArthur)

It's an amazing undertaking with a spectacular result. There is just SOOO much to love about this device.
    Can't wait to hear more as time goes on.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Default Re: Astronomical skeleton clock (By: MartinM)

Like so many - I'm lost for words
    I hope when the time comes there might be an opportunity to see it when its finished here in Australia (maybe a small tour - Melbourne, Sydney....?). Sadly once it moves to its final home its unlikely that we will have a chance to see anything quite so extraordinary here down under again?
    I have really enjoyed following along, with your regular updates, detailed descriptions and photos
    Thanks for sharing
    Regards Conwae

Default Re: Astronomical skeleton clock (By: ccwk)

It`s been amazing to follow the progress and design over the years. And am continuely amazed at the beauty of the engineering and cut out work. The only thing I would have added would have been a chime melody and an automan figure.. but that is my own perference.

Default Re: Astronomical skeleton clock (By: John MacArthur)

Quote Originally Posted by John MacArthur View Post
    For anybody who hasn't checked this out: it is MINDBLOWING! I've been following it monthly for quite a while now, and still can't believe both Mark's dedication and Buchanan's skill and determination.

Johnny
    same goes for me
    tom
    "keep 'em runnin' "