Thread: Dial painting

Default Dial painting

Im going to have a go at simple black and white dial restoration and am just wondering about books i could buy to learn the pros and cons etc, could anyone recommend any,

regards john

Default Re: Dial painting

I forgot to ask about books, but he said he uses a variety of enamels but finds Humbrol very good, that would be easy for you to obtain.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Thanks very much, i appreciate your help.

kind regards john

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey0151 View Post
    Thanks very much, i appreciate your help.

kind regards john

No problem, however he had a dial with him he had restored and it was amazing. I prefer earlier clocks but I have to say his work is beautiful, and you could not see where he had done anything so there is huge skill in this.

Im going to give it a real go, im reading everything i can find, i can only find 1 book, it will open an whole new world in my antique clock repairs and collecting, plus i think you could make some money although this is not a big motivation at the moment, from my research its very expensive to get clock dials renovated, and the amount of clocks i see needing this type of work its motivation enough as i think it costs about £100 to do a simple black and white dial,

regards john

I think this chap charges under £150 for a complete restoration. I used to get charged around £120 for a brass dial for full clean and resilver. Now I do that myself.

Thanks for all your help, i rely appreciate it, if you get any book sugestions could you let me know

regards john

John,

You should research fluid writer pens. They are used by writers but can be used anywhere fine lines are needed. They come in a variety of sizes and are affordable. You can adapt an old machinist compass like a Starrett No. 92 to fit them.

You might also find books like "Rendering in Pen and Ink" by A.L. Guptill helpful.

Good luck,

D~

Thanks for that.

Regards john

Registered User prideofmatchingham's Avatar

Any help on where to get one silvered dial and one painted dial restored? Any help would be appreciated. As this is for self, not for any sale, I would prefer someone who is not very costly! Pl PM me, if you can.
    Thanks
    "Be nice to the people on your way up because you will meet them on your way down."

Quote Originally Posted by prideofmatchingham View Post
    Any help on where to get one silvered dial and one painted dial restored? Any help would be appreciated. As this is for self, not for any sale, I would prefer someone who is not very costly! Pl PM me, if you can.
    Thanks
    This is an art that finds few devotees.
    From what I can tell of the curent situation in Australia is that there is one person who receives all the dials in Australia and from everywhere overseas, to be repainted. The work is as you would expect excellent but you have to wait and wait and continue waiting until your dial reaches the stage of actually being painted. All this isn't cheap but definitely not as expensive as the wait may seem.

resilvering is a very simple process that you can easily do yourself, repainting is a skill.

Quote Originally Posted by the 3rd dwarve View Post
    John,

You should research fluid writer pens. They are used by writers but can be used anywhere fine lines are needed. They come in a variety of sizes and are affordable. You can adapt an old machinist compass like a Starrett No. 92 to fit them.

You might also find books like "Rendering in Pen and Ink" by A.L. Guptill helpful.

Good luck,

D~
    Strangely, most of my work comes from self taught, learning to extrapolate from terse tips from mentors otherwise busy. I've long used felt tips. Probably as long as they have been around.

I'm enjoying being in these forums reading what everyone else here has learned. For me it is a sudden corncopia of peers. Having lived in the backwoods for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    resilvering is a very simple process that you can easily do yourself, repainting is a skill.

Yair to be fair, my reading skills sometimes let me down.