Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Pocket watch weapon

Have you ever been in a situation where you might of had to use your pocket watch as a weapon?

I have not yet, but I thought about it. Sometimes you can get in a situation and the only thing you got on you is your watch.

For example. I had just got through attending local church and I see a guy run out of gas, pushing his car. Me and other church going guy I know stopped our cars to help him. Well, I was pushing as good I could but the distance to the gas pump, though close, was feeling a bit longer away than it looked.

Some guy drove by and sees us I waved to flag him down for help. For that he got all bent up and angry and decided he was going to fight me right then and there. He said I had a terrible look on my face and he wanted to punch my lights out (I put this in kinder terms).

Well, I didn't know what to say. The sun was really bright behind him and I guess I was squinting from it. That and I was feeling exhausted from pushing the car so I was in no shape to fight. I was out of breath from pushing the car. The other guys just stared including the church guy.

Eventually he just took off in his car after shooting me the finger. All I can imagine that he thought I was making a face at him. My eyes do squint hard in the sun. But I was just trying to flag him down to help.

We had a laugh about it after he left, but it wasn't funny to me at the time because I had never felt that vulnerable. I was horrified from it because I have a neck injury that makes walking now difficult.

To top it off the guy I was helping by pushing the car look disappointed in me. Like I did something wrong. I tell you what, turned my good deed high into a bad day. I guess it serves me right. No good deed goes unpunished as they say.

Ever since then I have occasionally mulled over the idea of making a pocket watch weapon. Something I could swing HARD like a ball and chain. I MEAN HARD LIKE KNOCK THEM OUT HARD..! Honestly I'm getting p.o.-ed now just thinking about it.

It's one thing if you go through life arguing and pushing and insulting someone maybe then you should expect to get clobbered. But some jerk wants to fight out of the clear blue for nothing make one paranoid. I think a weapon is in order. To think he could have wrecked my life broke my neck surgery I have just on a whim...

I don't know if I wanna go conceal carry. I've haven't ever needed that. I just don't live that life style. I would probably shoot my foot accidentally or something.

I use a fairly hefty chain on my pocket watch. It has descent size latch but I imagine if I had to wail it across someone's head it would probably go flying before it hit them. Probably would give loose at the bow. Then I would have to swing a small dog chain at him. I guess I could make a get-away while he was laughing.

This thing got me to thinking that it might be nice to make my own case for such purposes. Something real rugged that could knock some bloke out like a steel pipe.

Of course you wouldn't want to put spikes on the thing as it'd poke you in the pocket. But some connection and small dog chain with some lead added in the case to up the weight.

I imagine it may have to be quartz as the balance staff probably couldn't take the impact. That is assuming I got a lucky shot in.

I think if it where a quartz I could care less. I would always know it had a special purpose

Thoughts appreciated.
    RJ
    Last edited by RJSoftware; 11-15-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    The bitter the challenge, the juicy the conquest.
    Conquest -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: RJSoftware)

You might be better to get a chiming pocket watch from the Clint Eastwood film "For a Few Dollars More". Flick it open when the need arises and put on a mean squint as the ominous tune reduces the would be assailant to a quivering wreck begging for mercy at your feet........Alternatively he may kick seven bells out of you before the chimes finish

Well, you could take an empty large (18 size) pocket watch case and fill it full of lead. Solder the chain links so they won't open. Solder the bow if needed. It'll hurt, but you won't be able to record the time you hit him <grin>.

Frank

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: FDelGreco)

Put a 410 Derringer loaded with buckshot in your other pocket.
    Gun control is the ability to hit the target.

http://rosewoodregulators.com/

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: captainscarlet)

I think the squinting got me in trouble in the first place.

Awesome movie "The good, the bad and the ugly".

Blondie, you know what you are? Your a son of a "waaa a waaa a waaaaa, waa waa waa".

Quote Originally Posted by captainscarlet View Post
    You might be better to get a chiming pocket watch from the Clint Eastwood film "For a Few Dollars More". Flick it open when the need arises and put on a mean squint as the ominous tune reduces the would be assailant to a quivering wreck begging for mercy at your feet........Alternatively he may kick seven bells out of you before the chimes finish

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: Jay Fortner)

Recently, I was proceeding toward a line of traffic in front of me which was stopped for a red light. I am stopped at a "T" intersection on my right. There are cars wanting to enter the stream of traffic in front of me. I leave space for them to enter the stopped stream of traffic. Some jerk in a water tanker truck behind me hits his horn. I do nothing. Traffic begins to move again and I move as well. The jerk in the truck seized the first opportunity to pass me on my left and pull in front of me. He then slows down to about 20 mph in a 50 mph zone. I get his license number and the company name, and first chance, I phone the company's safety supervisor, and give him the story. This is NOT the first complaint he's had against this driver! Instant karma! Aren't cell phones great?

On the topic of a pocket watch weapon. Ever consider a BALL and chain? (ahem!).

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: doug sinclair)

Quote Originally Posted by doug sinclair View Post
    Recently, I was proceeding toward a line of traffic in front of me which was stopped for a red light. I am stopped at a "T" intersection on my right. There are cars wanting to enter the stream of traffic in front of me. I leave space for them to enter the stopped stream of traffic. Some jerk in a water tanker truck behind me hits his horn. I do nothing. Traffic begins to move again and I move as well. The jerk in the truck seized the first opportunity to pass me on my left and pull in front of me. He then slows down to about 20 mph in a 50 mph zone. I get his license number and the company name, and first chance, I phone the company's safety supervisor, and give him the story. This is NOT the first complaint he's had against this driver! Instant karma! Aren't cell phones great?

On the topic of a pocket watch weapon. Ever consider a BALL and chain? (ahem!).
    I second Jay's suggestion on the weapon. Much more effective.

Doug, get a dashcam. I drive about 40k miles per year, mostly in Miami traffic. I have cameras in the front & rear of my car, just in case. It records for more than a week on a 32GB memory card.

Quote Originally Posted by RJSoftware View Post
    Hello all.

I need some ideas for constructing a pocket watch to serve as a weapon also.

See following link.
    http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...t-watch-weapon

RJ
    RJ

The following link is one example, however it is not ATF legal.

http://antiqwatch.com/old-watches/ol...small-gun.html

Jerry Kieffer

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: scottmiami)

no, but I used one as a hammer once. Kind of a wrench actually. long story but had to dislodge a large wingnut from a trailer hitch chain. long thin screwdriver got bent up. Found an old nickel case in my trunk and used it to put heavy pressure on the wingnut. Worked beautifully.
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: Jerry Kieffer)

I had pencil gun at one time. It sort of passed as a mechanical pencil. You load the bullet in the top where the clicker is. Big one like a 22 long I think (can't recall) and that is to look like the clicker on top of the pen and the thing clips in your top shirt pocket. Sort of disturbing to have a bullet aimed at your face when it's in your shirt pocket. Also it had a way of writing to prove that it was a pencil. I don't really recall too much about it except you had to pull a strong lever spring and snap it to make it fire.

Bought it from the flea market. I got rid of it when I read somewhere that it was highly illegal and I think classified as a assassin gun and same sort of penalty of law that I think a silencer has.

Btw, a potato can work as a silencer. You just carve a little hole in the end of a potato and stick it on the gun. So you get one shot quieter than the others.

I don't know if the legal aspect was true about the pencil gun, but when it doubt I tossed the sucker out. You know the threat of prison and having to wear lipstick for a guy named Bubba to enjoy.

Thing is I would like the thing to have the dual purpose of keeping time so it is useful on a daily aspect and then useful the other way too. Otherwise it's no daily incentive to wear it like a pocket watch has.

I see this gun that they advertise now is like a slim fit, 2 motion hand gun that nobody even can tell you have on. The holster for this thin gun hides in pants at waist and you lift shirt(1 move) and reach in and grab gun(2 moves). Looks nice and functional. That would probably be the most ideal. But thing is you would have to get use to wearing it every day.

RJ

Registered user.

Doesn't sound like a very good plan to me RJ.

You'd be standing there swinging your weighted watch around like some medieval knight, whilst he pulls a gun and shoots you. ( Like the scene in that old "Raiders of the Lost Ark" movie ).

No-one in New Zealand is allowed, with rare exceptions, to even own a hand gun, let alone carry one.
    As a consequence shooting crimes are rare.

However, if I lived somewhere where people could carry concealed firearms I would too.
    I wouldn't want to be the, ( shortly to be dead), guy who turns up to the gun fight armed only with his fists, or, even worse, a watch.......

Ralph
    NZ

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: Ralph B)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    I wouldn't want to be the, ( shortly to be dead), guy who turns up to the gun fight armed only with his fists, or, even worse, a watch.......

Ralph
    NZ
    There's an old saying: "Never show up to a gun fight with a knife." A sheriff in Ohio once told me, "If you don't think there will be any trouble, carry a pistol. If you think there might be trouble, bring a shotgun. If you know there will be trouble, bring an assault rifle."

Frank

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: FDelGreco)

I interrupted a jewellery store hold up about 30 years ago. I took a 10 inch Gerber Legendary butcher knife away from a girl who had one of the staff pinned against a wall. Once the knife had been taken away from her, I threw her to the floor, and held he there until 3 cops got there. Gloating over my bravado, I told the one cop that I wouldn't have tried that had she been carrying a gun! He told me a flak jacket will stop a bullet, but it won't stop a knife! He told me how fortunate I was, and in future, I should accede to the demands of ANY bandit! Never had to do it again. I was told later by the one cop that the girl said she had intended to kill someone! One of my staff received a 1/8 inch long nick on a thumb! And that was it!

Default Re: Pocket watch weapon (By: doug sinclair)

This discussion has morphed way beyond horological interests. I'm going to close it.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.