Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a Depthing Tool

I`ve wanted a good size depthing tool for years. I`ve got a few of the simple John Wilding designs that work well, but I`ve always fancied a more traditional hinged design. I`ve actually got large castings from Malcolm Wild but never dared put tool to metal as I`m just not confident of getting everything true and parallel!

Anyway, I`ve started with an attempt to build a large depthing tool made from brass plates but using a ball bearing as a hinge and ball bearings to hold the runners true. If this works, the design will be quite useful in the home workshop as you only need to ensure each row of holes is drilled on the same run and with the plates pinned together, everything should be parallel.

Let me know if you have any thoughts, suggestions or concerns!

www.raynerd.co.uk - So long and thanks for all the fish.

Default Re: Building a Depthing Tool (By: Raynerd)

Appreciate I got no comments on this but for anyone that was interested how it turned out, I have finally finished it! The concept works and the project is finally finished. Appreciate the video may not be to everyone's taste but I enjoy putting them together and each to their own. Certainly shows the build and final product!

Although nobody responded to your posting, many have looked.
    (2492 views as of now).
    Thank you for the great videos
    You have done a great job and the tool should service you well.
    With the time required to set up the jobs, you could have made 4 or 5 more to sell with little more time involved.

Best Regards,

Dick Feldman

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Building a Depthing Tool (By: Dick Feldman)

I can't believe i didn't respond to this. Great work! I wasn't aware that this thread existed. I've been having a project such as this in mind for some time now and I've tried to work out the most precise way to make a hinge without having to waste a massive amount of stock in the process. The ball bearings are very clever.

Seeing as it's been a while since you posted this I understand if I won't get a reply but it almost looks like the ball bearings that are supporting the runners are of two different materials. Or at least finishes. What did you use on the ones that appear brushed or even white?

Best regards
    Karl

Good job! I tried a time or two to build one but had some machining problems (umm....mistakes) and got discouraged. I ended up getting a nice one in exchange for some work. Keep up the good work!.....................doc

I think you did a great job and were creative in using ball bearings the way you did. I've been meaning to make a depthing tool myself, but since I work on tower clocks, it will be a lot bigger -- like 18" long and a lot deeper. I'll use your design but make the plates from steel, as sheets of thick brass that large are too expensive. I, too, would like to know why some of the ball bearings appear to be made of steel, and some are white -- ceramic?

Best regards,
    Frank

Default Re: Building a Depthing Tool (By: FDelGreco)

Good morning, thank you for the replies!

Dick, I am now definitely going to run off a few additional frames now I know they work. At the time of creating this, I was not
    convinced it was going to be successful but now I'm happy with it, I am going to build a few for sale.

Karlmansson - yes, I was experimenting with standard steel balls and nylon bearings. The nylon stay in the whole better but in retrospect I think this is because the edge of the hole is cutting into the nylon which is t a good thing. I'm going to stick with steel and look at securing them, either using resin, solder of adhesive.

Frank, I'm pleased you are considering the design to build one. I too considered steel plate but managed to get this brass at a good price. I wondered if any future ones I created for sale should be made in steel but was concerned it would put people off buying if not in traditional brass! I guess if it works people don't mind.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies. I appreciate it.

chris

I'm unclear as to just how the balls that contact the runners work.
    Are they slightly offset from the centerline of the runners, so that the runners impact them on the side of the bearing and not the top?
    If so, how did you create the pockets for the balls?
    I'm guessing they were drilled on the mill, as any variance, at all, would throw off the geometry/parallelism of the runners.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Default Re: Building a Depthing Tool (By: MartinM)

Martin, that is exactly the point! I looked for months about machining a depthing tool. I even have some lovely brass castings I purchased but don't dare to put tool to metal for fear of losing parallelism. With this design, each row of holes is drilled at a time on the mill, moving onto the next line. This means all holes are parallel drilled on the mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Raynerd View Post
    Good morning, thank you for the replies!

Frank, I'm pleased you are considering the design to build one. I too considered steel plate but managed to get this brass at a good price. I wondered if any future ones I created for sale should be made in steel but was concerned it would put people off buying if not in traditional brass! I guess if it works people don't mind.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies. I appreciate it.

chris
    Chris:

I'm thinking of using steel and then blueing it. It should look good.

Frank

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raynerd View Post
    Martin, that is exactly the point! I looked for months about machining a depthing tool. I even have some lovely brass castings I purchased but don't dare to put tool to metal for fear of losing parallelism. With this design, each row of holes is drilled at a time on the mill, moving onto the next line. This means all holes are parallel drilled on the mill.
    A problem with it still is the depth of the ball bearings. The holes need to be exactly the same size with no burrs or the runners will be off angle. Maybe milling with a V cutter would be better? If you don't have a way of depth setting the ball bearings in plates it will be hard to get repeatable results of the brass under the balls deforms under load for instance.

Default Re: Building a Depthing Tool (By: karlmansson)

If I understand this method. The ball bearing holes are through holes, both plates at the same time. The balls are larger diameter than the holes, so the alignment should be pretty good.

David
    David S

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Building a Depthing Tool (By: David S)

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    If I understand this method. The ball bearing holes are through holes, both plates at the same time. The balls are larger diameter than the holes, so the alignment should be pretty good.

David
    That's my understanding as well. But I think "pretty good" wouldn't be good enough for this application. The balls seem to be only an inch apart or so and any difference in their resting position in the hole will be amplified through the runners. Does the hole have a burr? Out of alignment. Do you deburr the hole ever so slightly more on one of the holes? Out of alignment. I think the balls work well for the hinge, although the same issue should be present there. That affects the whole frame though and not individual runners.

I think a jam nut for the depthing would be a good addition too! It is after all the only variable that really needs to be kept constant after you have done your tests.

Default Re: Building a Depthing Tool (By: karlmansson)

Quote Originally Posted by karlmansson View Post
    A problem with it still is the depth of the ball bearings. The holes need to be exactly the same size with no burrs or the runners will be off angle. Maybe milling with a V cutter would be better? If you don't have a way of depth setting the ball bearings in plates it will be hard to get repeatable results of the brass under the balls deforms under load for instance.
    Perhaps chamfering each hole to the same depth would fix that problem. After chamfering, you could put the ball in its place and with a mic measured the thickness from the other side of the ball to the back side of the plate. When all are the same, you are done.

Frank

Blog Entries

Default Re: Building a Depthing Tool (By: FDelGreco)

Hi Frank,

...After chamfering, you could put the ball in its place and with a mic measured the thickness from the other side of the ball to the back side of the plate...
    Surely it's the front side of the plate that's critical, unless you can be sure that the two sides are exactly parallel. After all, the ball bearings forming the hinge are planted in the fronts of the plates.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke