Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luxury or Lie

Default Luxury or Lie

A member here holds a weekend long course giving info about the legitimacy of watches (Luxury or Lie). I'm intretested in taking the course, but after asking a question about the instructor's qualifications to hold a course like this, I was answered with semantics about how I structured my question and then the thread was closed before the instructor could answer. http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...May-2016-Class
    I am very interested in taking the course next time it's offered as I find the subject interesting and I live in the area, however I feel asking for instructor qualifications is not out of the realm of reason before plunking down such a huge chunk of change (nonthe link to info about the course did not help). I'm really turned off by not getting an answer. Mr. Harris, can you maybe answer me? How do I know I am taking a course with a qualified instructor? I come across used watches on a daily basis in my business and a course like this, if legit, would help.

Default Re: Luxury or Lie (By: TruthSeeker)

I don't see any reason why you can't ask to for credentials: qualifications, degrees or certifications, courses taken, related experience, awards, etc. It's the right thing to ask for, and the right thing to provide.

Frank

Default Re: Luxury or Lie (By: FDelGreco)

Indeed. Hard to imagine why the referenced thread was closed without a response. However I have heard good things about Adam's course.

David
    David S

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

The message board is not at all connected with Adam's course. Requests for information should be directed to Katie Knaub, our education director, at kknaub@nawcc.org
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Luxury or Lie (By: harold bain)

I've heard good things too, but I kinda want an answer from the instructor. If he won't answer my questions before the course, why would he after I take it? I know he worked at a photo company for years, but the watch course has nothing to do with it. Call me careful, but so far I'm a bit discouraged. Mr. Harris, can't you answer?

NAWCC Communications Director

You should probably just email Adam directly at aharris@nawcc.org. I'm sure he'd be happy to correspond with you about the course.
    Last edited by Markus Harris; 10-17-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Fixed email link

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    I've heard good things too, but I kinda want an answer from the instructor. If he won't answer my questions before the course, why would he after I take it? I know he worked at a photo company for years, but the watch course has nothing to do with it. Call me careful, but so far I'm a bit discouraged. Mr. Harris, can't you answer?
    Looking at the list of who has read this thread, Adam isn't listed. Please follow my instructions if you want any info on this course. If you are dealing with expensive watches, the price of the course is less than you might save on just one watch that is properly identified as a fake.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Looking at the list of who has read this thread, Adam isn't listed. Please follow my instructions if you want any info on this course. If you are dealing with expensive watches, the price of the course is less than you might save on just one watch that is properly identified as a fake.
    I agree, it would be worth thousands taking a trustworthy and correct course that helps me identify fake vs. legit timepieces. The savings would add up quickly in my line of work. It's good to know Adam has not read this yet. I was wondering why he hasn't responded. If anyone is willing to contact him (maybe you Markus with the same last name...), please let him know about this thread and my questions. I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but the course is about fakes and the instructor and former curator of this association hasn't answered. A public answer would behoove us all, IMO.

BTW, Markus Harris, I LOVE Lancaster, PA! I have a lot of good memories of that town from when I was a young man. I hope the girls I knew there feel the same way.....

Blog Entries

TruthSeeker, hundreds have taken his course including, I believe, the boys at the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop AKA Pawn Stars. There have been many rave reviews as well. Mr. Harris travels frequently and maybe has not seen this thread. I personally haven't taken the course as I do not dabble in high end wrist watches. If you have any doubts, contact the NAWCC as suggested and also try contacting him directly as stated. I don't think he has any reason to avoid you.

Default Re: Luxury or Lie (By: richiec)

This does bring up a good point. In the previous post, I was directed to a link because the class had nothing to do with this forum, yet the first several posts were clear adverts for the course and the next stated that the course was closed.

Perhaps "luxury or lie" is a very fitting title. At best, the facilitator (Adam Harwood) doesn't seem to have any credentials beyond early 1900's watches. Just like we are always admonished to "buy the seller", it would behoove us to "buy the facilitator" here.

I'd be more than happy if NAWCC came out and endorsed him, but all these ringing endorsements from various past "participants" posted by Mr. Harwood himself somehow ring hollow.

Perhaps a post by a respected member who has actually taking this course could help me part with my hard earned money. While I pride myself in never haven been "taken", I'm equally sure that I've passed up several bargains because I was unsure.

I agree, it would be worth thousands taking a trustworthy and correct course that helps me identify fake vs. legit timepieces. The savings would add up quickly in my line of work. It's good to know Adam has not read this yet. I was wondering why he hasn't responded. If anyone is willing to contact him (maybe you Markus with the same last name...), please let him know about this thread and my questions. I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but the course is about fakes and the instructor and former curator of this association hasn't answered. A public answer would behoove us all, IMO.

BTW, Markus Harris, I LOVE Lancaster, PA! I have a lot of good memories of that town from when I was a young man. I hope the girls I knew there feel the same way.....

He might feel more inclined to respond to you if you had a name and location to go with your question.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Luxury or Lie (By: watch junkie)

Quote Originally Posted by watch junkie View Post
    This does bring up a good point. In the previous post, I was directed to a link because the class had nothing to do with this forum, yet the first several posts were clear adverts for the course and the next stated that the course was closed.

Perhaps "luxury or lie" is a very fitting title. At best, the facilitator (Adam Harwood) doesn't seem to have any credentials beyond early 1900's watches. Just like we are always admonished to "buy the seller", it would behoove us to "buy the facilitator" here.

I'd be more than happy if NAWCC came out and endorsed him, but all these ringing endorsements from various past "participants" posted by Mr. Harwood himself somehow ring hollow.

Perhaps a post by a respected member who has actually taking this course could help me part with my hard earned money. While I pride myself in never haven been "taken", I'm equally sure that I've passed up several bargains because I was unsure.
    You might do better if you had his name correct. You have an email address to contact him. If you are unwilling to use your name on our forum, don't expect too much.
    Since the course is obviously full, you have lots of time to plan for the next course.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I think I can see some confusion here. I have been away and when I logged into the MESSAGE BOARD this afternoon, indeed there was an advertisement for Adam's course under discussion at the top of my logged in page. So while we may say that the message board is not connected, it does appear that it was advertising it. Perhaps we need a quick link to access from the message board when this appears.

David
    David S

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    He might feel more inclined to respond to you if you had a name and location to go with your question.
    Aaaaaand, I'm done here.
    Let me get this straight, the instructor did read this? This is all too weird. Got my answer about the course. Thanks.

Aaaaaand, I'm done here.
    Let me get this straight, the instructor did read this? This is all too weird. Got my answer about the course. Thanks.
    If you scroll to the bottom of this thread, it shows who has read this thread. Mr. Harris is not listed there.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"