Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Blog Entries

Default October 1, 1964 - October 1, 2016

Today is October 1 2016…a fairly important landmark in my long life. October 1, 1964, I became a member of the horologic society we call the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. It is also the month I created the Founders Plaque and got the 50-year Membership Virtual Plaques started that became a reality. And, one more facet of our NAWCC Forums…I started the Member News and Views Forum that allows our membership to converse with one another, and to publish stories, articles or other literature that had no home before the advent of this Member News and Views Forum. Today it has near to 300,000 hits, with 727 articles and 4661 replies to these postings.

Today is the start of my 52nd year that I am a member of this great Association. That taught me so much about writing and the horologic world we live in at this time in our lives. Many of the friends I made from our Association Presidents to the average guy like me; sadly many of the friends I made over the years of service to this Association are no longer with us.

I made a number of discoveries of scarce to rare watches and a few clocks. I will also take credit for creating the NAWCC yearly Calendars that helped fund our constant need for money to help keep this great horologic society going; with the sales of these calendars to NAWCC Chapters and our members at large.

Finally, in two months and ten days I will be going into the second year and the second century of a long life that has seen the ebb and flow of our American way of life. I have seen our Association grow from a few thousand members to its halcyon days of more than 38,000 NAWCC members and revert back to less than probably 14,000 NAWCC members today. Today, practically any electronic gadget you hold in your hand will give you the time of day and more accurate than any watch or clock could, the exception being atomic clocks.

Taking everything into consideration I experienced during the long years of my membership…in the many ways of horology…including friendship, learning, discovery, writing, and to help fund this behemoth of horologic enterprise…I am truly blessed with long life and the years of my over half a lifetime of NAWCC membership.

Default Re: October 1, 1964 - October 1, 2016 (By: dweiss17)

Dan--those dates really caught my eye as----I graduated from high school in 1964.