Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Double boxes......?

I know that the Hamilton model 21 came double boxed and I know that the Hamilton model 22 came double boxed what I'm wondering is did the actual deck watches like the 3992B and the 4992B Come double boxed as well I've only ever seen the one small box for those watches?

Default Re: Double boxes......? (By: butlercreek)

These were considered Pocket Watches and were not boxed.

I have seen some after market wooden boxes made for them but AFAIK, Hamilton didn't make boxes for them.

They did make a metal spring loaded round container for some contracts on the 4992B.

The can had a private Mfg. name on them, not Hamilton. but the contract called for a shock resistant system for them.
    Jim Haney

Blog Entries

Default Re: Double boxes......? (By: Jim Haney)

All the boxes I have seen have been on watches used in British service. Those are mostly NATO era boxes.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Double boxes......? (By: Tom McIntyre)

Actually Tom now that you mention it I believe all the examples of the 4992B and 3992B that I have seen that were boxed, including the one I own, Have been broad arrow watches....

Here is a group shot of some I own. You will see a wooden box and a metal canister with by Elgin and Hamilton 4992B these are the cases that were used with them. Tom the US military did use them a photo of the label on the Metal case. It has spring inside the case were the watch goes with a felt lining I guess the case would protect the watch from flack so it don't get battle damage.

Last edited by River rat; 10-12-2016 at 07:24 PM.

My wooden box for the 4992B is a remake a copy of the original here is a past sell of a original on Ebay if any one have Whitney military timepieces book it has info on the wooden box and canister used with the 4492B watches a great book if you collect military watches and chronometers.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamilton-499...p2047675.l2557

Blog Entries

Default Re: Double boxes......? (By: River rat)

The topic was on the flat wooden deck watch boxes so I did not include the canisters or the gimbaled boxes although I have a few of those also.
    The box in the lower right corner of your group shot is on the lines of what I was thinking. I have not seen one of those before.

The 3992B's are usually in British or NATO sources deck watch style boxes. The one in your picture is more square than I have seen. Do you have a picture with it open?

The double boxes do, of course, appear on the model 22 Hamilton and the 36 size Hamilton deck watch. Those both appear in Gimbals as well as in flat cases with boxes.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Double boxes......? (By: Tom McIntyre)

Sorry, late to the conversation. Post above indicates Hamilton didn't make boxes for deck watches. Attached photo indicates Hamilton had something to do with them. Whitney "Military Timepieces" p. 331 says "In Navy applications the watch was enclosed in a shock-mounted hardwood box." Not real sure how this box came to my collection, but I was a pilot/navigator in a Navy patrol squadron which was de-activated in 1969. The watch came from a flea market in Leesburg, VA July 1996 for $175.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box Front.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	326192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box Top.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	326193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box Open.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	380.5 KB 
ID:	326194

Blog Entries

Default Re: Double boxes......? (By: Leigh Callaway)

Your box looks a lot like the one on the lower right in River Rat's group shot. There may be a signature on the front of his also. I have never seen one of these in person.

I have seen a few of the English/NATO boxes that I think are quite a bit later.

Your box has wonderful detail in the top lid recess with another special notch for the crown as well as the relief for the bow.

Thanks for showing it.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers