Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Blog Entries

Default My collection out to meet company

We had a group of visitors from Germany and Switzerland on Monday who were touring the East Coast of the U.S. on one of Fortunat Mueller-Maerki's Study Tours. I believe this one was sponsored by DGC. I pulled the chronometers and deck watches etc. out of their normal storage space and had them spread out for display. I thought you might enjoy the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chronometers.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	311.8 KB 
ID:	316531
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: My collection out to meet company (By: Tom McIntyre)

Wow, that is quite the collection Tom, very nice.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Astonishing! A fantastic array Tom, and I especially like that photograph as it shows your stuff in a very 'real' way, not as just a collection of 'look, don't touch' objects in clinical conditions. I imagine that one of the pleasures when you get them all out is coming across the odd one that you'd forgotten you had! Thanks very much for sharing.

Blog Entries

Default Re: My collection out to meet company (By: davy26)

I couldn't help but think of the similarity between the words horde, and hoard, when I saw the display of Tom's chronometers! Looks like he has cornered the market in Boston, and possibly Massachusetts! So I looked up a website that discusses the difference between the two words. Indeed, Tom has hoarded a horde of chronometers! I only wish I could see the collection in person! We don't have an icon for green with envy.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	317424

Default Re: My collection out to meet company (By: doug sinclair)

Nice to see them out for a little air. Can you tell us what the second from left bottom row is and the third from left top row is? Thanks for showing Tom
    Paul

Blog Entries

Default Re: My collection out to meet company (By: Paul Regan)

The bottom row has the Barraud Lund's patent compensation on the left. The smaller one next to it is a Barraud & Lund 8 day small chronometer with their sector up/down indication. The third is a Kelvin & White large 8 day chronometer.

There are three middle temperature compensation chronometers in the collection with a Dent staple balance and a 56 hour Kelvin and White with Poole's compensation. There is also a Fletcher with Airy's bar which is not really a middle temperature device but allows the set point for compensation to be shifted without losing poise on the balance.

The Fletcher graces the cover of Konrad Knirim's book on British Militry Timepieces.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Registered user.

Wow that IS a great collection ! Out of all of them which one would you say is the rarest and would be the most difficult to replace putting money or cost aside for a second ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: My collection out to meet company (By: Accutronitis)

I think the Barraud chronometer with Lund's middle temperature compensation weight is th most scarce. I do not know how many ther are but likely not more than 20. All the rest are fairly common by comparison.

The Fletcher gains some notoriety for gracing the cover of Konrad Knirim's book.

One of the deck watches is not in particularly good shape, but is rarely seen. It features a differential up/down indication. It was made by Election.

Name:	ElectD.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	317655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ElectMvt.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	317656
    Election 80 mm flat cased deck watch, 17 jewel lever escapement with hack feature and counter rotating up down mechanism, stewind, pendent set, open face, serial number 524,688, ca. 1916. Engraved silver dial with wind indication disk. Signed Chronometre Election Grand Prix Bern 1914. Locking brass reinforced box.The wind indicator is a differential mechanism that turns the hand when winding and the small dial as it runs down. The hack mechanism is operated by moving the brass plug from its holding position on the left to the hacking position in the brass receiver on the right.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Registered user.

Moving the plug from left to right to hack and back to resume is a first for me and somehow this word doesn't quite fit but the way that clock hacks is very "cool"....

Default Re: My collection out to meet company (By: Accutronitis)

WOW. The best choices for a collection representing the best of precision mechanical hand work and design. artbissell

Default Re: My collection out to meet company (By: artbissell)

Did Kelvin & White actually make them or farm out the work? I collect scientific instruments and have a few pieces by them, my favourite is an electrostatic voltmeter. I'd like a Thomsons pattern reflecting galvanometer but haven't got one yet.

I know that the Hughes family were clockmakers, but Kelvin Hughes is a much later company I think.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: My collection out to meet company (By: novicetimekeeper)

There was a large set of Kelvin and White companies operating in major ports around the world. They were maritime outfitters. The chronometers with all of the various names using Kelvin and/or White with differing initials and first names were made by Mercer for the most part. It is possible a few Kullbergs and others slipped into the mix. These are the Poole's Compensation and 8 day examples from my collection. One from Glasgow and one from Boston/New York.

Made by Mercer for sale by Kelvin and White in Glasgow. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dial.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	319757
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 10-20-2016 at 09:42 AM.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers