Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nearly 52 years in the NAWCC (By: dweiss17)

Today, I will finish the piece I started,"My almost 52 years in the NAWCC." It just happens I have a lot of other things to do which includes much writing about my long years on this earth. I know I will dredge up memories of hurt that I thought I had buried deeply into the recesses of my aged brain. I will write about the dreams I dreamt, some coming true...other gathering the cobwebs of time that can never be totally forgotten. I will write about a family of Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, my eight siblings, my parents and a host of other people I came to know over the many years of this long life going on to age 102 years...it will not be easy to recall so many of the events, the happenings, even the joys I have been fortunate enough to enjoy. It is sad to report they are all gone...I am the last of the Mohicans...the last Weiss with unadulterated blood that came from Romania. All the others have gone unto another world we know nothing about.

At my age, I have no real family left, other than offspring of my brothers or sister, and their children. We all carry some of the Weiss blood that came to this country from Romania to escape the misery heaped upon a certain race of people. I would love to write about the names we all come to know from the history of the Pharos and even long before their reign...but, under our present NAWCC rules that is strictly forbidden.

On past pages of our NAWCC history, I have written much about the three felines I adopted to help relieve the loneliness of a person. even aged in those years, and the comfort of having them as house companions. And, how the tortoiseshell Frankie Weiss became the only non-human to ever hold membership in this great horologic enterprise.
    Last edited by dweiss17; 11-12-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nearly 52 years in the NAWCC (By: Kevin W.)

Page fifteen

I do not know how to explain or how to use the necessary words on how to describe my feelings in finding this little clock with a platform escapement. I can only say, “It was a dream come true.” That I have been a dreamer all my long life and had dreams come true and other dreams fade away with dust covering them over is far beside the point.’’

Thanks to some French horological genius more than 150 years ago, I was able by hook or crook to restore his wonderful effort in creating the Fountain Clock…a clock of immense beauty, not only in seeing the spirals turning, but the structure and the dimensions of this rare clock was like that of a painting that drew respects of awe

in seeing it for the first time. So it was with this clock and the graceful lines that underlined its beauty…even as a piece of furniture that had no movement.

Just looking at the spirals turning and simulating the flow of water into the tank, made special for that purpose, gave me the most wonderful horologic thrill I ever had in all my 51-52 years of discovering watches or clocks of unusual merit. The repairing and determination not to give up in my hope of restoring this masterpiece of horologic excellence to its original glory…was more than just hope! It was a horologic miracle come true.

My mind wandered back to the day it was fashioned and running; what kind of a dwelling or French palace was this clock situated in so many years ago. Were its owners people of royalty; I’m sure it had to be more than the common French citizen of that period who could own such a masterpiece…the work of a horologic clockmaker who had dreams of his own and true to his personal dream…made it come true, I am sure he was delighted with his handiwork and his horologic skill. As I’m sure did any person whoever laid eyes upon it…telling the time and simulated flowing water into its glass diamond thatched tank.

Without pictures this would be just a story of words, written with sincerity and the trust that my words could paint the picture I wanted it to be. However, with early foresight in photographing this French Fountain Clock, I am able to present the picture and the sizes of its features on the next and final page of this story. I have other photos, but I think this one photo tells the story to its best advantage.

In conclusion, I kept the clock running daily for about two years and thought it time to take it to a Chapter 1 meeting and sell it…if my price was met. Need I say it was bought within an hour of being set up on my tables…one clock seller in the room built over the swimming pool came to the table where I set it up…looked at it from every view possible and asked me for my price. Need I say it sold for more than any fine and expensive watch or clock I ever owned. Taking over twelve years to finalize a rare beautiful clock and restore it to its former glory…it paid off.

The following page has the photo and dimensions of this rare French Fountain Clock taken long before it was sold.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nearly 52 years in the NAWCC (By: Tyler K.)

Please click on thumbnail

This is Page sixteen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page16.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	322248
    Last edited by Dave Coatsworth; 11-12-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Page seventeen

This paged story starts my 52nd year in the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. During the many years I met untold numerous people, both male and female who became my friends and my fellow members in this NAWCC. Nature, as it will, has played its role in those blessed with long years of life, while others have gone unto new worlds…however, not of their choice.

In the finding of these gifts – unexplained horological treasures – those have been described elsewhere on these pages and also on Chapters no longer with us. These finds were important in the horological sense; they brought to light the only Howard pocket watch to ever leave the factory without being inscribed with the Howard name on its plates. Years back, I featured an Adams & Perry pocket watch #1585 that started the serial listings of these watches…while less than 50 have been reported as existing, running or not, the hits on that serial listing numbers beyond 33,000; a record for a company that really produced only one pocket watch in all its existence; the Lancaster & Keystone Watch Companies used A&P left over material.

During these many, many long years as a member of National Association of Watch Collectors…clocks and watches have passed through my hands, by the dozens and dozens, into the hands of other horologic enthusiasts who visited my tables month after month, year after year. I was fortunate to live in Philadelphia, who in center city had the hot bed of Jewelers Row….it was there I found so many of the valued pocket watches eagerly sought after by NAWCC members across the breath of the United States. My wife Evelyn and I visited NAWCC Chapters along the East coast and attended numerous Regionals and Conventions across the country.

For Evelyn, it was a bonanza of meeting and making new friends of the wives and lady friends that accompanied their man or husband. For me, it was more like a high one might get from some intoxicant or illegal drug. I received a great education in reading and writing about all this horological material that had its beginnings when man first walked the earth and noticed his shadow on the ground.

The education I received in this horologic venue was important enough for me to make the discovery our NAWCC Message Board lacked a place where we could as members communicate with one another. The Members News and Views came from that. So did the 50-year membership Plaques…at this date we have 318 members who donated 50 years of their lives to this pursuit. Another venture was noticing we never honored our Founders…from that came the Founders Plaque…inscribed are the titles and membership of our 52 Founders…dated November 7, 1943.

I wonder how many of our members have ever seen the Statue of Liberty in person, a gift to the USA from France. I will close with what I have described earlier on some of the pages - another gift from some French dreamer. The French Fountain Clock. It has three spirals turning in unison to appear as water flowing into a cut glass tank. It has a little clock with a platform escapement that tells the time of day. It is the dream of some French clock maker…who dreamt a dream that came true, and still functions as it should in someone’s home.

This little masterpiece of allegoric symbols was created to delight the eyes of the beholder with its many symbols and expression of beautiful trimmings made over 160 years ago. I no longer am its precious keeper…in my heart…it will always remain the finest example of the horologic dreamer who makes his dreams come true.

The chap who has looked after my larger clocks had an ormolu gilt clock with the same effect in his workshop a while back, it had a boy on top with a pitcher and the water was pouring from that.

It really was effective and I imagine by flickering gas or oil lamp it would have been quite impressive.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.