Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Blog Entries

Default Living a long time

What are your chances of reaching 100 years of life? The oldest Americans comprise just 0.02% of the population, or about 55,000 people according to a report from the Census Bureau that examined 2007-2011 data from an American Community Survey.

Understanding, women live longer than men; four-fifths of centenarians are of the female gender. And, most of them are widowed and financially not very well off. So going by these statistics it may seem that I, as a man, am part of the species that are fortunate enough to live a life span of 100 years or longer.

In less than 3 months I shall reach my 101 first year of life. Even so, I do intend to live much longer than that and continue to do what I have always done…dream the dreams that you could possibly make come true. In my long lifetime, I am proud to say many of the things I dreamt about…did come true.

So, even in this advanced age, I will continue to do the things I do every day with a strong faith that my way of life will continue for years to come. Having no secret to a long life…my feeling is that being born with the longevity gene is your foremost hope in living far beyond the average age…as long as you continue to live in your present good health that permits you to savor and enjoy every day you wake up.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Living a long time (By: dweiss17)

Dan:

According to the UK Department of Work and Pension (the only source I could find quickly), a person born in 1915 had a likelihood of reaching 101 of 0.3%, but for someone born in 2011 it is 21%. A 99 year old this year has a 67% chance of living to 101. For someone born the year I was, it is 7.9%.

You have done exceptionally well.

Robert
    Robert Gary "Learn something. Skill does not desert the life of a person ever." Dionysius Cato (ca. 230-150 BC)

Default Re: Living a long time (By: Robert Gary)

I recall reading somewhere that 75% of all the people who ever made it to 65 are still alive today. It's going to get very crowded on this planet!
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Living a long time (By: dweiss17)

Quote Originally Posted by dweiss17 View Post
    Understanding, women live longer than men; four-fifths of centenarians are of the female gender.
    "A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than men who mention it." <grin>

Frank

Default Re: Living a long time (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that 75% of all the people who ever made it to 65 are still alive today. It's going to get very crowded on this planet!
    I remember reading somewhere that about 20% of the people who have EVER lived are alive today!
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Living a long time (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that about 20% of the people who have EVER lived are alive today!
    That seems likely, I think the population of the world has doubled in my lifetime.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Living a long time (By: novicetimekeeper)

I rechecked, and it's roughly 10% of the total are alive today!
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.