Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend

For those who missed this auction, here is a link to the catalog.

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/cata...lection#page=1

If you have a login for liveauctioneers, it will show you the results.

There was a huge number of chronometers, but 95% or more had been through a destructive fire. There were many great names and some technically interesting ones. I don't think there was a single running or complete chronometer in the lot.

Ralph

Blog Entries

Default Re: Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend (By: Ralph)

Prices were very low for many items. Too bad so many damaged.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend (By: Kevin W.)

It was a once in a lifetime event. There will never be another auction like this. The quantities will overwhelming. The condition of the chronometers was hell.

It doesn't take much to deduce this was Max Low's horde.

All the makers and suppliers of any consequence are now gone.

Ralph

Registered user.

If it were Low family stuff i would think there would be lot more Elgin 600 stuff. Maybe it is coming. Wehn I was there in the late 1980s Chuck had a ton of Elgin parts (plates, bowls, wheels, chains, barrels but no escapement parts) and no Hamilton boxes. Historical fun fact: look him up on IMDB: he was in Goodfellas and The Mission.

Default Re: Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend (By: DeweyC)

There were loads of Elgin 600 chrono parts. Dials, serial numbered and unserial numbered... unsilvered, silvered. Unfinished chains, hooks, a few boxes, loads of other boxes, some Hamilton boxes, 21 and 22.. even some torpedo boat boxes..Incredible destroyed chronometers.

There will be a lot of disappointed chronometer movement buyers.

Ralph

Registered user.

Well Raplh, looks like your hypothesis was correct and Chuck is done. I wonder if he died. He used to make "obscene" phone calls to me; I really enjoyed him. But he was one of these guys that wanted to sell but hated selling at the same time. End of an era; may have to write down my story of him.

The 600 stuff: they bought the enire line as it sat at the end of the war. They sold parts as kits for buyers to assembe; and when they ran out of balances they used M21 balance/springs. When they ran out of those, (and detents), it was a parts museum. I THINK he told me the serial numbers of what they could sell went up to around 700. Been a while but it was not high

Default Re: Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend (By: DeweyC)

This is fairly recent.

http://pagesix.com/2016/07/03/celebs-visit-mysterious-man-living-in-senior-living-facility/

The serial numbered stack of Elgin dials I saw, if memory serves me right, were in the 10** range. An incredible amount of materials.

Ralph

Totally sick looking at all these destroyed movements. Wonder if there is any information on Chuck Low and how he amassed this amount of stuff. It is mind boggling to me.

Default Re: Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend (By: mdjtlj)

Anyone know where the Negus logs went to?
    Paul

Registered user.

Default Re: Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend (By: Paul Regan)

Chuck Low still had them in the 1990s.

Blog Entries

Were they in the $50 book lot in the auction?
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend (By: Tom McIntyre)

Tom, they were in three lots containing four log books each. Great historical data. Hopefully they don't go into a "black hole".
    Paul

Blog Entries

Default Re: Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend (By: Paul Regan)

Hopefully, they will be donated to the NAWCC Library. If not David Grace should have them since he has done far and away the best scholarship on these things.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Huge Maritime Auction in Westport Ct, This Past Weekend (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    Hopefully, they will be donated to the NAWCC Library. If not David Grace should have them since he has done far and away the best scholarship on these things.
    Tom, is there public access to his work? I do not know David Grace.
    Paul

Blog Entries

Try doing a Google search on David Grace Chronometer. He has a fair bit of output and he is the content editor for most of the work coming out of the RMM.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers