Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    Registered User Allan C. Purcell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Early Single Table Roller Escapements (By: Dave Chaplain)

Hi Dave,
    Nice idea to publish the Bliss & Whittmore pocket watch. I take it Bliss was the watchmaker who joined Fredrick Creighton in New York. When they did that c1837 they had problems finding good workmen to enlarge the firm. They bought in the ebauches from England then finnished them in the States. Though by the time of the Crystal Palace Exibition in New York 1848 the Americans could claim they made complete chronometers including the chains. There is more in "The Ships Chronometer" by Marvin E. Whitney-Why not tell us the whole story Dave. Thanks again for posting the watch.

Regards,

Allan.

Default Re: Early Single Table Roller Escapements (By: Allan C. Purcell)

Hi Alan,

I also posted the same info in the Chronometer section of the message board due to the John Bliss connection. If I were more confident about what I know I'd post more of the story! I did find an interesting web blog that calls into question some of the Crossman and Whitney accounts for Bliss, so I chose not to repeat. Here's the link to that blog, which for what it's worth seems to have been well researched ... http://blissweb.org/blisschron.org/jbliss.html

Dave
    Member Chapter 149

Blog Entries

Dave-Thank you,

I have prited the above-and I am reading it with pleasure. I will then stick in Whitney´s book.

Allan.

Default Re: Early Single Table Roller Escapements

Addition / correction to the case data on the Bliss & Whittemore: the outer case has no number, but the inner dust cover has the number 9812 and an additional peculiar mark of F. R. & O. ... I've looked closely and that's an "O." rather than a stylized "Co.", although I suppose the O. could have been punched over something that was there before ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7592 inner cuvette2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	353205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7592 inner rear2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	353206  
    Last edited by MartyR; 08-12-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Removed Full-size images
    Member Chapter 149

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Chaplain View Post
    Addition / correction to the case data on the Bliss & Whittemore: the outer case has no number, but the inner dust cover has the number 9812 and an additional peculiar mark of F. R. & O. ... I've looked closely and that's an "O." rather than a stylized "Co.", although I suppose the O. could have been punched over something that was there before ...

Hi Dave,
    What we have here is a silver cased watch HM. Chester 1832. Case makers mark JLS (Joseph Lewis Samuel) The Escapement is a Massey III and it has a massey compensation curb.

In Priestley´s "Watch Case Makers of England" he dates JLS 1835-58. I would think they used the mark for a couple of years before they registered it. F.R.& O could be a springer, and the number on the inner cover I find odd. The number on the watch is I think 1592 or is it 7592. I dont think in the short period they were in partnership they would use the larger number, but you never know.

What makes the watch most interesting is its early engraving on the watch for two American watch makers- I think its a great find.

Regards,

Allan.