Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4183 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Kevin M

Default Clock running too fast

I inherited a Hamilton mantle clock from my grandfather. Everything works well except the clock speed (even at the slowest setting) still runs to fast. I estimate it to be about +3 minutes a week.

The pin of the flywheel is set all the way to the left for slowest speed. How do you set it even lower?

Kevin M

Default Clock running too fast (By: Kevin M)

I inherited a Hamilton mantle clock from my grandfather. Everything works well except the clock speed (even at the slowest setting) still runs to fast. I estimate it to be about +3 minutes a week.

The pin of the flywheel is set all the way to the left for slowest speed. How do you set it even lower?

Kev,check the numbers in the lower right hand corner.Is it marked Hermle 340-020 or Hamilton 340-020.If not,what numbers are there.That little gadget you are referring to is called a floating balance.Let the board know what you have in the way of movement numbers and then we can commence to help you.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Very possibly your clock is running too fast because the balance assy needs serviced. Dirty, it may not be oscillating to full distance. If cycles of the wheel were shorter you can see how the clock would run faster. If it took the wheel longer to complete a cycle the clock would run slower.

Kevin M

Bob, it says 2 jewels unadjusted Hamilton 340-020. Would taking a picture of anything help?

Kevin M

Here's a picture of the balancing wheel (thanks for the proper term). I tried to show (unsuccessfully though) the top of the balance wheel, where there is a cutout and a stopper, and as you move the lower pin to the left this round knob moves to the right and hits the end of the cutout stopping any further movement of the pin. I was thinking there has to be further adjustment somehow to compensate for this or as stated it just needs cleaning...

Hello Kevin, if you decide not to try cleaning the balance platform, you can order a new one here http://www.merritts.com/store3/main/default.asp
    click on clock parts and supplies-then misc. clock items- then platform balances. you will see item # p-926 for 340 balances.
    Mike C.
    Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer

. . . . and I know there are dissenting opinions on this, but I much prefer the conventional balance assy. to this "floating" one. If you choose to replace it ( I would ) be aware the new one will look different but is a direct replacement.

Great picture Kev,I wish the hell I could master that facet of posting on this board.Anyway,to your situation.The path of least resistance would be to take ole Scotties advice and clean that balance in some solvent,let it dry completely and give that a shot.Please no oiling the balance,thats a no no.If that doesn't help then you can take Mike's advice and call Merritts and order a new balance.The balance you have in there now is called a floating balance.The balance you would receive from Merritts would be the new type platform balance.Hermle phased out the old style floating balances a few years back and went to the platform balance.Personally I like them a lot more.They're very reliable and quite easy to adjust.If those two options fail you may want to consider chucking that ole movement and replacing it with a new Hermle 340-020 also available from Merritts(about $115.00).Most Hermles are good for about fifteen years or so and then they either need rebuilding or replacing.Rebuilding a three train Hermle is something I wouldn't wish on you but I will tell that you definitely have the skills to replace the old movement with a new one.It's not that hard.If you do decide to replace the movement let us know and we'll be more than happy to walk you through it.
    Well Kev best of luck with your problem.It's certainly not a major one,it's most certainly fixable.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Kevin M

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I guess I will try the path of the least resistance first and try cleaning it. And since I am a newbie at "tinkering" (haha tymfxr) with this, I don't want to proceed without a surefire and foolproof way to remove the balance wheel without messing up. I guess I will search now and check back to see if any further advice can be offered. Thanks in advance.

All you need to do is stick a toothpick through the highest gear that you can reach so the power is interupted, then just unscrew the balance and remove it. After cleaning it, put it back and remove the toothpick and see if the cleaning helped
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Kevin M

Is the balance wheel held on by those 3 screws seen in the picture (the one on the left and right as well as the lower left one)?

Kevin...

Just the top two... the lower one is for a cover over the end of the escape wheel pivot.

When you take out the top two screws, remove the balance assembly gently.. it may take some twisting and turning to get it out without getting hung on the fork that engages the assembly you are removing... just watch and feel what you are doing. It is not difficult. Usually a tilt of the bottom away from you is what is required. Same comements when you replace it...

David
    David Robertson - Kingsland, TX

Kevin M

Thanks David I will try that right now.

Kevin M

I tried cleaning the assembly without removing it. Seems to have done the trick. I will see how well it works for a few weeks and then remove it for a full cleaning. Thanks guys for all your help.