Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4193 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default American Wringer Co label on New Haven clock ?

I have a New Haven Wall clock with a label on it's back from the American Wringer Co NY. It gives their address and says the clock was made especially for them.
    The American Wringer Co. made Rubber Wringers to squeeze the water out of clothes by hand on a crank. The same way you would start you Model T Ford of the day

I have heard of other clocks that have their label and was wondering what the connection was ? Where these clocks sold by them. Or for use in their factory, or ?

Default American Wringer Co label on New Haven clock ? (By: Robert Ling)

I have a New Haven Wall clock with a label on it's back from the American Wringer Co NY. It gives their address and says the clock was made especially for them.
    The American Wringer Co. made Rubber Wringers to squeeze the water out of clothes by hand on a crank. The same way you would start you Model T Ford of the day

I have heard of other clocks that have their label and was wondering what the connection was ? Where these clocks sold by them. Or for use in their factory, or ?

Hi Robert,I also have an American Wringer clock and have seen several others,I have a couple of guesses 1)they were given to customers with an xxx? amount purchase,or 2)given to distributors of their product.Or it's quite possible they had these clocks made to re-sell at retail,especially with the Chambers street NY address.If you ever noticed clock companies that bought clocks from other makers and put their own names on them(such as alot of the old iron fronts) sold clocks from Chambers,Cortland St. etc. NY.Anyone else have any ideas? My label is on a Gilbert Consort model. Tin

The American Wringer Company had offices at 99 Chambers Street, but in 1895 their factories were in Auburn, NY; Woonscocket, RI; and Erie, PA. They made 80 types of wringers, and also clothes dryers, mop wringers, and washing machines. I found a reference to NAWCC Bulletin No.243 and No.253 for information on American Wringer.
    Jeremy

The Clock I show above has New Haven on the dial in two places, so they weren't trying to hide the maker of the clock.
    The clock also seems to be a bit different than any I see in Ly's New Haven Book. It's close to their Bank regulator model but has slight differences.

Thanks for the help.

I hve a gorgeous porcelain American Wringer clock case, no movement. Contact me privately if interested.
    Ed Christiansen
    wechris@cox.net