Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3358 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default American Cuckoo Clock Co

Hi I obtained a wall cuckoo clock which is spring driven, not weight. It has a label stating that it is made by the American Cuckoo Clock Co., Maspeth, New York. I am aware of the American Cuckoo Clock Co. from Philadelphia, Penn., but not this New York Co. Can anyone tell me anything about the New York Co. like the years of manufacture. Thanks

Registered user.

Default American Cuckoo Clock Co (RE: B Hall)

Hi I obtained a wall cuckoo clock which is spring driven, not weight. It has a label stating that it is made by the American Cuckoo Clock Co., Maspeth, New York. I am aware of the American Cuckoo Clock Co. from Philadelphia, Penn., but not this New York Co. Can anyone tell me anything about the New York Co. like the years of manufacture. Thanks

Even the NAWCC library has very little information about the American Cuckoo Clock Co. The one catalogue I saw said it was in Philadelphia.

Tom
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Hello B Hall,

I know that you are asking about the American Cuckoo clock co. New York and I don't have any info on that. I did find some information on the American Cuckoo Clock Co., Philadelphia, PA. This was published in the April 1955 Bulletin by George H. Eckhardt. Quote: It will surprise many to learn that this company is still in existence in Philadelphia (1955). While the early records of the company are no longer available, there were probably tens of thousands of clocks bearing the name of the company assembled, manufactured and sold throughout the US. They were merchandised through the usual jobbing trade and directly to large users such as department stores and mail order houses, and were also given as premiums with subscriptions to newspapers and magazines

Despite all this the history of the company is most interesting in the annals of American clockmaking. The American Cuckoo Clock Co. had its beginning back in the middle 1890's. At that time Breitinger and Kuntz (later known as Breitinger and sons) had a retail store at 37 and 39 North Ninth St. Philadelphia. They were very large importers of cuckoo clocks from the Black forest of Germany

However, so many of the imported clocks arrived in a damaged condition that the firm decided to attempt to manufacture cuckoo clocks in this country. to this end they set up a manufacturing establishment on the upper floors of the Ninth St building. Here they fabricated the wooden cases and employed skilled European wood carvers to embellish the ornamental frame work. The movements, bellows and certain other small components were imported.

The business prospered and the activity soon outgrew the space available. The American Cuckoo Clock co was organized and set up factory operations in a building at the corner of Randolph Street and Fairmount Ave. This was very early in the 1900's. The building ws occupied until 1912 when the company moved to a still larger building at 1669 Ruffner St., Philadelphia.

At the outset of the First World War the importing of movements was cut off and within a short period the supply on hand was exhausted. Therefore, for a few years all activity ceased. As things returned to normal activity after the war.

The company then engaged in the importation of fine German chiming clock movements and the manufacture of mahogany cases for them. These cases were made for their own use and for other importers. Throughout the 1920's the sale, servicing and manufacturing of fine chiming clocks was the chief business of the company although cuckoo clocks were handled to some extent. World War II led to the final discontinuance of all manufacturing and assembling operations. End Quote.

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Richard,
    That is some great information. Could it have been that the two companies were one in the same with a branch in New York?

Greetings Randy,

I can't answer that question. Maybe something about NY will turn up yet.

Regards,

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Registered user.

Thanks for all the information. The Cuckoo clock that I have has a New Haven movement in it and is spring driven. It has carved wooden weights which are for decoration only. Ill try to post some pictures in the AM. Thanks Bob

To Richard T.
    Might have an idea here. There was a company in Union Square, New York called the Cuckoo Clock manufacturing company.Inc. I do not think the word "American" was used in there company name.
    Perhaps there is a link here between the two New York Companies (or possibly a name change)

Then again if B hall's clock says what it does I have to wonder about branches of The American Cuckoo clock Company once again.
    Perhaps we will sort this out eventually.
    Randy