Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 378 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Black Forest Shield Sharpie Numerals (By: gleber)

It is a huge improvement in draughtsmanship, but I agree could be a bit darker.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Black Forest Shield Sharpie Numerals (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    It is a huge improvement in draughtsmanship, but I agree could be a bit darker.
    Thanks Novice. Now I'm another step closer to actually doing that.

Tom

Default Re: Black Forest Shield Sharpie Numerals (By: gleber)

I would have used an ink or paint that is easily reversible, that would come off with a solvent that won't affect the rest of the dial. Ball point ink may be difficult to remove; it also may bleed over time into the surrounding paint.
    Jeremy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Black Forest Shield Sharpie Numerals (By: Jeremy Woodoff)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Woodoff View Post
    I would have used an ink or paint that is easily reversible, that would come off with a solvent that won't affect the rest of the dial. Ball point ink may be difficult to remove; it also may bleed over time into the surrounding paint.
    Thanks for the comment Jeremy. I knew I didn't want opaque black since I probably won't attempt the artwork and can't afford a professional and don't think the clock is worth it. The previous sharpie version didn't look right even if it was done neater. It was either redo completely or work with what I got and try to preserve the look. I chose the latter. I was able to clean up my mistakes very well with a simple pencil eraser, but I think the ink is beginning to set. I can still erase some of it, but not as cleanly. The shade is just about right from across the room and it looks equally worn with the rest of the dial. I didn't think about the possibility of bleeding, but the painted surface does not seem very porous, so I hope I don't end up saying, I should have listened to Jeremy." And, hopefully I won't ever have to remove it.

I do appreciate hearing your opinion.

Tom