Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 367 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Broken Ogee Glass

Hello,

Apologies for a very basic question, but I couldn't find anything specifically addressing this. Is an original broken tablet worth saving? This one has been in 6 pieces in a box for more than 40 years. Reproductions of the large version of this tablet are readily available, but not so much for this miniature version (from a New Haven miniature 30-hour Ogee).

Is it worth trying to epoxy something like this, or am I better off looking harder for a replacement or reproduction? It already looks like someone unsuccessfully tried superglue at some point. It doesn't seem right to throw this out, unless I know for sure that it's beyond hope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	306923

Registered user.

Default Re: Broken Ogee Glass (By: Mister Mike)

Hi, seems like no one has responded on this, so I will give my ideas. If this is an heirloom clock that you really are emotionally invested in, that will change how much you may want to pay to repair it. I say that because generally the ogee clocks are not worth all that much. It is good that you have all the pieces so that you know what it looks like. My first thought was to get a reproduction, but since this is smaller. that rules that out. There are people who do restoration of these paintings and what they would have to do is take your picture and reproduce it on a smaller glass. I don't know exactly how much that might cost, but it probably would cost more than the clock is worth. But you might be willing to pay the price if the clock is really important to you. Otherwise you might just find a very nice picture that you can attach to a glass and use that to make a very nice clock. No matter what you do, keep the glass you have with the clock so in the future you have it if you decide to do something else. Charles

Default Re: Broken Ogee Glass (By: laumeg)

all pieces are there,it is broken and out of its frame,but it still looks nice.If this were mine I´d glue the pieces on a new piece of glass with a clear adhersive:not too costly and still saving the original.Then put it back into the frame with the original little wooden liners.
    My 2cts...
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)