Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3625 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Greg R.

Default Hermle 1161-853BS problems

I have in for repair a Ridgeway Grandfather clock, with a Hermle 1161-853BS movement. It is keeping time, the problem is that the Time weight is lowering faster that the Strike and Chime Weights(which are stay equal to each other).

My first thought would be that the Chime mechanism is not always working correctly. But the chime cam is always where it is supposed to be, and the strike a chime weights are of equal distance from the movement.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Greg

Greg R.

Default Hermle 1161-853BS problems (RE: Greg R.)

I have in for repair a Ridgeway Grandfather clock, with a Hermle 1161-853BS movement. It is keeping time, the problem is that the Time weight is lowering faster that the Strike and Chime Weights(which are stay equal to each other).

My first thought would be that the Chime mechanism is not always working correctly. But the chime cam is always where it is supposed to be, and the strike a chime weights are of equal distance from the movement.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Greg

Some of these have a "Night Off" feature but I'm not sure about the 1161-853BS. If the lever is at the "Night Off" position, then the outer weights lagging behind the center weight is normal. Maybe Mark Butterworth would let us know if this movement has that feature.

Greg R.

I don't see anything like a night shut-off. After I posed the question this am...I decided to look at the 1st wheels again. This time I measured the diameter and count teeth. Although, the teeth count was the same...the diameter of the first wheels was different. The Strike and Chime Sides were:55.09mm, the Time side measured: 55.14mm.

Now, beleiving this only to have an affect on the gear-mesh... I decided to change them anyway. I moved the Time wheel to the Strike train, the Strike wheel to the Chime train and the Chime wheel to the Time train?! Anyway if you can follow that, the result is that the
    Time and Chime side are now of equal distance from the movement and the Strike side has a lesser distance or higher! Doesn't really make sense to me, but what do I know.
    Tomorrow I'll have to check it out again. I guess I'll move the (now)Strike wheel to the Chime train, and so forth to see what happens.

Also, I'll have to check out the working of that particular wheel.
    Greg

Registered user.

You need to keep in mind that the time train moves constantly and the chime and strike trains move intermittently, so the chime train should catch up only after the hr. sequence and the strike train only after the 12 Oclock sequence. So if you start the clock at 5 min. after 12 and the weights at equal hieghts, the weights should be equal again only after the clock strikes 12 12hrs. later.
    Otherwise i would say the chime train is not functioning properly and you are being fooled by the chime correction mech.

Mark A. Butterworth

I believe all the points made above in response are valid. The 1161 unit was made both with and without the auto night off feature. If you do not see a secondary lever, then your would not have it.
    If the chime is not always operating then the strike and chime wieghts should be at equal level over a 12 hour period, but not always the same within that period. My guess is that the chime is not activating every time on the hour due to the chime synchronizstion lever not always being lifted high enough to release the locking cam. It is possible that you are simply not catching it. The problem may also be caused by wear in the locking cam wheel pivot hole on the front side. We do carry that unit in stock and you can find it at www.butterworthclocks.com

Mark A. Butterworth

After reading the earlier posts, I believe the problem is caused by the chime synchronizing lock lever not lifting high enough on alternate hours, or certainly on occassions. The only way to know for certain is to check it each hour. When the locking cam arbor hole in the front plate wears, it does so in the upward direction. This could account for the problem and the hole will need to be recentered when it is bushed. We do carry the unit at it can be found at www.butterworthclocks.com

Greg R.

What is that law? When it turns out that the simplest solution is the correct one? I can't remember, but... the problem is/was that the locking lever was not being lifted on all of chiming sequences. After observation...it would work consistantly for a few hours and then not, work for a few more hours and then not, etc. The problem (I think) is that the next to the last wheel and the fans had been switched(from side to side) by me. This caused the pin on the chime side to...move around when the chime sequence was done. I'll try to explain better...during the first hour the warning pin would be located...say at 1:00, after the second hour the pin would be located at: 10:00(which still worked). But after the 3rd hour, the pin would be located at 7:00...this would not give enough movement for the chime train to: warn and start. It would not be until the forth hour when the pin was in the 4:00 position that the warning and then chiming sequence would be completed and so on.

I'm not sure if that is clear, but it does seem to be working now...at nine hours later.

Thanks to all(I might just be back!)
    Greg

Don Havens

Hi!

Not real sure about that pin moving around like you said, but I've encountered this problem before and found that the pin on the lever that rides 1/4 hour strike cam was the culprit. Just a little wear on the bottom of "that pin" was enought to keep it from chiming the quarter hour and obviously the hour correctly. I would suggest putting everything back like it was originally and keeping close watch on the afore mentioned pin.

Just my humble opinion...

Don