Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 425 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default A Brief History of the Seiko Marine chronometer

Below is a link to an excerpt from a NAWCC article by T. Haruyama of Japan which appeared in the October 2000 issue.

http://www.knirim.de/haruyama.htm

Mun C W

Registered user.

Default Re: A Brief History of the Seiko Marine chronometer (By: MUN CHOR-WENG)

Thanks you for that . I never found anything written about these, nor knew the production totals. I have the one shown in Whitney that was taken at Tokyo Bay and I just serviced one that was completely unused (could not have been given some of the endshakes). He bought it a gun show for very little money (just last year). Incredible. Probably survived as a reference piece BECAUSE it was never correctly finished.

Both the Seiko and the Hamilton were patterned after the M21 and I have a pretty good understanding on the M21 from conversations/correspondence with Ben Hummel. The Seiko is a bit more mysterious.

Years ago I decided to see how close the Nardin and Seiko actually were. I was able to interchange all parts with no issues. The only difference is the finish. It is interesting to see they did the research to develop alloys for the Guillaume balance

I had pressumed the JIN brought the production on Island to hide their fleet build up in violation of the Washington Naval Treaty. Now I know that in fact they started production long after their capital ship production was started. Interesting.

And the the govt ran into the same opposition about getting a private operation into the business. Hamilton's arguments were almost identical.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2626.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	379.6 KB 
ID:	304318

Registered user.

Default Re: A Brief History of the Seiko Marine chronometer (By: DeweyC)

"Both the Seiko and the Hamilton were patterned after the M21 and I have a pretty good understanding on the M21 from conversations/correspondence with Ben Hummel."

Meant to say patterned after the Nardin.