Month's Goal: $300, Received: $230.00 - (77%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3500 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default 'Admiral' Pocket Watch

I have recently acquired a 16size pocket watch in an Empress gold filled case. The movement is marked 'Admiral'. and is jewelled only to the balance. The dial is marked Admiral as well. The barrel bridge is marked 'U.S. Pat May 24 1904'. There are no visible # on the movement, just the case. I can find nothing in my regular haunts about either the 'Admiral' make or the patent. Can anyone give me a lead please. Many thanks. Davey G

Default 'Admiral' Pocket Watch (RE: DaveyG)

I have recently acquired a 16size pocket watch in an Empress gold filled case. The movement is marked 'Admiral'. and is jewelled only to the balance. The dial is marked Admiral as well. The barrel bridge is marked 'U.S. Pat May 24 1904'. There are no visible # on the movement, just the case. I can find nothing in my regular haunts about either the 'Admiral' make or the patent. Can anyone give me a lead please. Many thanks. Davey G

Hi Davey:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

There were a number of discussions on the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board on Admiral watches. To use the Search function to find them, left click on the "Find" button on top of this thread and choose "Advanced Search." Use "Admiral" as the "Search Words" and choose the "Pocket Watches" forum.

Empress cases were made by the American Watch Case Co., a Canadian company.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Thank you Kent. Perhaps I should have read a little more about the message board before wading in with my request!

The search gave me good information but nothing about the Patent marks, which are mentioned but not expanded upon. I did a search against the patent markings which revealed precious little. I don't know how the US Patent system works, but is there any way that I can discover what the patent actually refers to?

DaveyG

Davey:

No problem about your asking questions. Its always helpful to have somebody point the way.

You can find information about searching for patents at the NAWCC Information Storage Patent Data Website.

If the only date is known, click on "Patent Date" on the left side of the page and fill in the fields in the page that opens. Use a two-digit number for the month. The numbers of the patents having that filing date will come up in the search.

I have to admit that I got lost trying to find the patent once I got the number. However, I believe that the NAWCC Library & Research Center has copies of all watch and clock related U.S. patents. If online searching fails, NAWCC members ought to be able to able to obtain copies of the patents upon submitting a Request. There may be a per page copying fee.

Edited to add information about NAWCC Library & Research Center

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia