Goal: $300, Received: $250.00 (84%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4325 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Rare Hamilton wristwatch, or not?

Please follow this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Mens-1920s-...QQcmdZViewItem

I say not, and emailed the seller with my reasons and suggested he refrain from calling it a Hamilton (to protect the unaware). Unfortunately, it already has a bid (possibly for the gold content of the case?)

If this generates some discussion by the experts, I will send a follow-up email (before the auction closes) directing him to this thread.
    Tom Diss
    The harder I search, the luckier I get

Default Rare Hamilton wristwatch, or not? (By: Tom Diss)

Please follow this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Mens-1920s-...QQcmdZViewItem

I say not, and emailed the seller with my reasons and suggested he refrain from calling it a Hamilton (to protect the unaware). Unfortunately, it already has a bid (possibly for the gold content of the case?)

If this generates some discussion by the experts, I will send a follow-up email (before the auction closes) directing him to this thread.
    Tom Diss
    The harder I search, the luckier I get

Tom,

Your measured response to the auction is refreshing.

My guess is the fellow is confused. Yes this IS a Hayden W. Wheeler watch. But it is NOT a Hamilton of course.

Wheeler imported and even manufactured some terrific jewelry and this watch is one that I would not mine owning.

I hope he gets your response and I hope he "Adds to the auction" a clarification.

JPH
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Will Roseman

Hello:

Indeed this is not a Hamilton and I would hope that would be purchasers would notice that there is nothing even on the watch that would indicate its roots being Hamilton.

But there are those new to collecting that might not know the difference - especially with the designation "Rare" in the title (novices might not recognize the difference).

I have every confidence that the seller will correct the mistake as his E-Bay ranking is very high. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Kindest regards,

Will

For those who are not aware, Mr. Roseman is a bona fide expert on Hamilton watches.

Welcome Mr. Roseman!

I have heard that Hayden Wheeler made some cases for Hamilton. Has anyone seen one? Were they custom cases for a particular jeweler or store?

Will Roseman

Jeff:

Thank you for your very kind welcome. But I don't think of myself as being an expert - just a great fan of early Hamilton wristwatches. And worse yet, what little I know, pertains specifically to a limited period - 1917 to 1936.

I refer to this period as Hamilton’s "Classic Years" - beginning in 1917 (the introduction of Hamilton's first men's wristwatch) and ending in 1936, however the usage of “Classic” to describe this period is arguable and indeed many of Hamilton’s most magnificent timepieces were made long after 1936. Nonetheless, this nineteen year period is striking for its concentration of the most desirable and stunning wristwatches Hamilton ever created.

I've much to learn and with the likes of yourself, Rene, Bryan, Dan and Bill on this message board, I am sure there will be significantly more to learn as time goes by.

Kindest regards,

Will
    PS - I just received an email from the gentleman selling the Hayden W. Wheeler watch saying he was posting a correction. That's good news!

Mersus,

Hayden W. Wheeler was a manufacturer fine jewerly and many terrific Edwardian pieces have been seen with the familiar HWW mark.

Indeed some very expensive and unusual Hamilton pocket watches bare the name as well. Hence the confusion of the seller.