Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Were Gruen's Veri-Thin and Ultra Veri-Thin Movements Really Novel?

Gruen hyped its Veri-Thin line of watches as reducing the "usual" four operating plane watch design to three planes. It hyped its Ultra Veri-Thin line as reducing the usual design down to only two planes. See the ad below and the highlighted section of the ad. Were these claims more than hype?

(I recognize that Gruen nearly exclusively used Swiss movements, but I am posting it to the American Pocket Watch board because Gruen was an American company.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gruen Ad (429x640).jpg   JPEG.jpg  

Default Re: Were Gruen's Veri-Thin and Ultra Veri-Thin Movements Really Novel? (By: Ethan Lipsig)

As a collector with all 3 examples you can confirm from my SIMILAR THREADS listings that I never noticed much smaller thin complete watches whether 2 or 3 level wheel arrangements. It seems to me Gruen made and used p.w.cases of good quality so their thickness defeated their thin movement advantage, 10 size Colonial Walthams had well designed cases that were nearly as thin as the same sized Gruens. Art

Registered user.

Default Re: Were Gruen's Veri-Thin and Ultra Veri-Thin Movements Really Novel? (By: artbissell)

To my knowledge the Veri-Thin was really a novelty in the "affordable" segment of the watch market when it was introduced in 1903. There were thinner movements offered by exclusive brands like Patek Philippe, but these had a price tag that most people couldn't afford. Gruen is recognised leading the move from the thick railway watch size to thinner, more elegant pocket watches.

I think the same applies to their Ultra Veri-Thin or UV caliber, which for sure wasn't the thinnest movement available when they launched in 1923. Gruen's own Ultra-Thin UT movement (produced by Les Fils de Louis-Elisée Piquet, Le Brassus and discontinued in 1920) was thinner, but also far more expensive. The Ultra Veri-Thin was marketed as one of the thinnest watches at an affordable price.

Default Re: Were Gruen's Veri-Thin and Ultra Veri-Thin Movements Really Novel? (By: Ethan Lipsig)

Here a VERI-VERITHIN that is only a VERITHIN with a thin broader than usual case. A U.T. with a heavy gold case. Glad to know the correct maker of U.T. I thought was MEYLAN. artbissell

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9390a.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	303029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9389acopy.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	303030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9392acopy.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	303031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9401acopy.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	284.1 KB 
ID:	303032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9416acopy.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	481.7 KB 
ID:	303033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9421acopy.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	303034
    Last edited by artbissell; 05-13-2016 at 05:20 PM.

THOJIL, serial 150030 on DIETRICH U.T. 1925+ ? Art

Blog Entries

Default Re: Were Gruen's Veri-Thin and Ultra Veri-Thin Movements Really Novel? (By: artbissell)

Great looking watch Art, you have a really nice collection.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by artbissell View Post
    THOJIL, serial 150030 on DIETRICH U.T. 1925+ ? Art
    Hi Art, difficult to say as these were top of the line watches which were not sold in high numbers.
    According to Piquet production stats they produced for instance in 1918, 288 movements for Gruen (36 per month). As I mentioned Louis-Elisée Piquet discontinued production of these movements in 1920 and production started in 1912. So what is clear that the movement was produced prior to 1920.

My assumption is that Gruen may have continued casing them until 1925 or maybe even beyond that date from stock movements, but of course that is only an assumption. The only cased UT (serial 149,658) that I ever found with an engraved date was 1927, confirming my last point. But this watch may also have been sitting with a jeweler for several years before he sold it.

The reason for the similarity with the Meylan movement is no coincidence as Piquet supplied the same 17‘‘‘ base movement to Meylan Watch Co. and also to Agassiz Watch Co., St. Imier.

Default Re: Were Gruen's Veri-Thin and Ultra Veri-Thin Movements Really Novel? (By: Thojil)

Piquet also supplied this ebauche to Cresarrrow, Ditisheim, Audemars Piguet, Zenith, Frankfeld, Breguet, D. Nicole, and Koehn/Ekegren, among others.

For me the preceding is really significant info here about the Dietrich Gruen Ultrathin and the 150k serial number; MUCH APPRECIATED. Art

For Thojil and anyone else trying to track these, here a later number UV example (no case with this one, unfortunately ...):

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 563704 UV dial.jpg   563704 UV mvmt.jpg   563704 UV mvmt2.jpg  
    Member Chapter 149