LUXURY OR LIE?
TREMENDOUS DEMAND CREATES NEED
FOR ADDITIONAL CLASS!

COLUMBIA, PA: With the May class completely filled, The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC) is adding a new session June 4-6 of its groundbreaking course “Luxury or Lie? How To Identify Genuine From Fake Watches.” The course was designed and developed by the National Watch and Clock Museum guest wristwatch curator and instructor, Adam Harris, as a guide to detect counterfeited or reworked luxury timepieces. The course includes an overview of watch types and appropriate terminology, establishing criteria for making judgments of authenticity based on comparative analysis. Participants will learn watch examination techniques and how to apply the best critical detection skills to discern the genuine from the fake.

Among other topics, the course will cover:
· Chronology of the watch and understanding its complications

· Watch terminology

· Chronograph movements and ETA (VALJOUX) dials

· Complications explanations

· Differences between “homage,” “Frankenstein,” “re-works,” “fake,” and “super-fake” timepieces

· Identifying the components of a GENUINE timepiece, including its case (weight and finish), the dial and hands, the strap, the complication, and the movement to discern a real timepiece before opening it

· Reference material: Methods of how to quickly reference a timepiece to its original manufacturer

· Hands On Fakes vs. Genuine vs. Reworks: Tips on how to quickly separate the genuine from the fake

This course will include the following watch brands or makers: Omega, Hublot, Rolex, Breitling, Cartier, Tag Heuer, Panerai, Bell & Ross, Patek, Mont Blanc, Audermars Piquet, and Girard Perregaux.

“After working in a pawn shop for some years, I realized how difficult it was to quickly and correctly differentiate a genuine piece from a fake… long gone are the days of cheap Chinese fakes and we are now being offered ‘Super Fakes’ that even defy the ability of the manufacturers to tell the difference,” said instructor Adam Harris. “The new course will reveal many of the major manufacturers’ counterfeit measures, some hidden, and some still unknown. Although it’s impossible to know every manufacturer and all their models, I’ve developed my own ‘Litmus Test’ that—in most types of timepieces—can immediately identify a fake.”

Instructor Adam Harris was born in Scotland, lived in England, and retired to Spain. He has served as a guest wristwatch curator at the National Watch and Clock Museum from 2012 to 2015. He served as vice president of Fujitsu Europe before retiring to pursue horological study under Mme Cinette Robert, former owner of Dubey and Schaldenbrand, and Marcus Hardy of Vintage Jewelry. He has also been a guest appraiser in a pawn shop, Gold Rush. Adam’s large collection of more than 200 vintage watches has aided in his knowledge of appraising timepieces.

“I am confident all attendees will leave with enough new knowledge to prevent future purchases of fake or re-worked watches,” continued Harris. “The course includes a follow-up webinar during which participants may ask further questions and share their experiences and also one year of online support.”

When the course debuted last fall, attendance was high among horological collectors and multiple professionals from the jewelry and appraisal industry, and the course was universally praised by the following attendees:

National Pawnbrokers Association attendees:
“Thanks again for the course you prepared; its knowledge was well worth every minute of it!” (Josh Bryant, A Yankee Peddler and Loan)

“Great job! You'll be pleased to know that we were able to apply some of the new techniques within 24 hours.” (Anthony LoRe, The Provident Loan Society of New York)

“I learned so much from your seminar, especially the Never 31 or 7 and the Litmus Test—so clever!” (Zully Patino, The Provident Loan Society of New York)

Other Class attendees:
"I've heard amazing and great things in regards to the overall course and last day. Thank you so much for your time and education." (Lauren Kaminsky Goldman, President EZ Pawn Corp.)

“It was excellent and I will tell the other members of Chapter 12 of the NAWCC and also the members of the Potomac Guild of the Horological Association of Virginia (HAV).” (Joseph Jabbour, Clock and Watch Appraisal Services of Northern Virginia, LLC)

“The class was a great asset to my business, and I will use what I learned daily. Thanks for offering the course. Please give my regards to everyone at NAWCC. It's great to be a member!” (Martin Fuller, Martin Fuller Appraisals LLC)

“I’ve been telling my colleagues how terrific you were and that it is an essential course to take the next time it comes up.” (Gina D’Onofrio, Jewelry Appraisal Services)

The cost for the full three-day program is $1,250; an advance “early bird” registration rate of $1,000 is available for attendees who register before April 21, 2016. NAWCC members may qualify for a cost of $900 if they register before April 21. Discounts are available if sending two or more employees from the same business.

This course will be held June 4-6, 2016, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., in the classroom facilities at NAWCC headquarters in Columbia, PA.

Please note that class size is limited, so register early. The course itself includes hands-on instruction and use of the National Watch & Clock Museum collection and the NAWCC Library and Research Education Center.
For more information and to register go to https://net.nawcc.org/NAWCC/Events/E...ntKey=WS325C16 or contact Director of Education Katie Knaub at 717.684.8261, ext. 237, education@nawcc.org.

Kim Craven
NAWCC Marketing and Events Coordinator
kcraven@nawcc.org
p: 717.684.8261 Ext.231