Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: 4thdimension)

Just looking at this , the odds in these being manufactured and getting to San Francisco were quite low? Or just super expensive and time consuming. How much in today's currency do you feel it would have cost OHM to get this transaction completed. Couldn't have been cheap

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: 4thdimension)

he was also listed as a watchmaker with Charles V Strom (or vice versa) in Oakland.
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Jeff Hess)

Does it usually happen in the price check forum that no value is guessed? must be a hard one to find a price on

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: AGBlex)

Quote Originally Posted by AGBlex View Post
    Does it usually happen in the price check forum that no value is guessed? must be a hard one to find a price on
    I've never known that to happen before I guess the rarer the item, the fewer the replies!

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: MartyR)

well then now I have myself in a good and bad situation. Good: I own it. Bad: Dont want to let it go then see it fly away at some European auction house in a nice case for a few wedding bills

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: AGBlex)

I was at the S.F. Historical library today looking up various things and got a chance to look up Edward F. Ohm in the directories. Sadly, they only had them back to 1862 so I couldn't determine when he started his business. The public library will have the earlier editions so...to be continued. I did learn Ohm was in business at 615 Montgomery St. through the mid 1880's at least. Edward had two sons who joined him in business early on but later worked for others; Charles H. Ohm as a watchmaker and Rudolph A. Ohm as a manufacturing jeweler. I'll add more info on the early years when I hit the library!-Cort