Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: AGBlex)

I can easily get you n touch witht he glashutte museum where all the Langes are. let me know if you need help.

believe me they wil lkeit and likely will want to acquire it. I have one there that I sold them.
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Jeff Hess)

that would be magnificent! I hope its worth something to them as I'm Getting married in October .

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: AGBlex)

It sounds like congratulations are in order on two fronts. Good on ya'. Good luck with finding the right buyer for it. They are out there waiting for this one, I think.

BTW: It's very cool that two very rare watches have shown up on the NAWCC MB over the past few days. First an "ORC" Ball-Howard 18s shows up in what sounds like small box of heirlooms, and now this gem. Awesome stuff indeed. Cheers.

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: MrRoundel)

Years ago I had a Lange movement with a regulator dial that had the G.L. mark which I sold to a dealer who dealt to a buyer in Germany who allegedly had access to Lange's original case making equipment. Of the eight Lange watches I have found only one had its case. That one was the only one with a serial number over 10,000. It seems a lot of Lange's initial production ended up in the U.S..-Cort

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: MrRoundel)

I hope whoever ends up with it is very happy. I had to look for that ORC watch you posted about. Read up on it and I agree it is very neat that 2 hard to find watches have found its way here. This message board has helped me a lot and I'm sure it will continue to do so.

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Jeff Hess)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hess View Post
    it is extremely early for Lange and a plate design that is not usual for keywind early Langes.

COOOOOL!
    Same layout as this early Assman:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?3...l=1#post248436

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: 4thdimension)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    And yes, all you need now is a gut kaes <(';')>. -Cort
    From one mad punster to another, very gut. It took me a minute though. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by AGBlex View Post
    I hope whoever ends up with it is very happy. I had to look for that ORC watch you posted about. Read up on it and I agree it is very neat that 2 hard to find watches have found its way here. This message board has helped me a lot and I'm sure it will continue to do so.
    Speaking of the ORC/Lange watches, you may have seen that the owner of the ORC got a basic opinion of value on her watch by paying $5 to the NAWCC, and having knowledgeable members post opinions. You might want to consider that. You may well get someone with vast knowledge, like Jeff H. perhaps, who can provide a learned opinion on value that can't be discussed here. While I doubt that Lange itself would throw you into the clock-tower gears, it might be good to have a baseline.

I only see values in Shugart for later watches, nothing as a key-wind, key-set. Which brings to mind my little oversight in an above post. In it, I said that someone might ID your watch by what could be an unique setting mechanism. With the KW/KS-from- back setup, it's all visible on the back of the watch. Small oversight, but there. Still, I think the bridge under the dial was probably helpful to Jeff H., et.al. Obviously the presence of the " G&L" was the best outcome. That's always nice.

Continued good luck. Cheers.

thank you very much, I'd gladly pay the 5$ fee and see what the outcome is and hopefully I can get in touch with the Glashutte Museum and see If they would be interested

How and where do I pay to the NAWCC So I have have some more member opinions??

Quote Originally Posted by AGBlex View Post
    How and where do I pay to the NAWCC So I have have some more member opinions??
    It’s not an easy one to find, is it? If you go to the attached link, you’ll see a drop-down menu where you put in your type of currency. I guess you pay your $5 on another page. This enables you to start a “value” thread, where members can give you their opinions as to price.

I don’t know how many other experts will be there to help, perhaps none. You just have the ability to discuss the value, which you don’t have on the other message boards. Like I said, though, you MIGHT get a baseline to start with, so you don’t get thrown into those gears.

I will admit that I don’t have experience with the “value” discussion thread, so I don’t know how much good it will do you. The owner of the ORC didn’t get as many responses to her query as I thought she would. Still it was cheaper than buying a new Shugart to come up with a range. In your case, Shugart isn’t really much good, as your watch seems to very rare, with no easy-to-get-at price info. Maybe someone will give assistance, maybe not. It’s a crap-shoot. Good luck.

http://mb.nawcc.org/payments.php

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Bryan Eyring)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Eyring View Post
    Mr Eyring,

i wonder if that watch (on your thread) was a also marked GL. This may change teh thinking of Assman as manufacturer (As many people think) and prove that Assman simply ordered watches from his in-law Lange.

Two fantastic threads.

I have been to the Glashutte Museum 6 times (and would love to visit 6 more!) and believe me the subject watch will be of interest to them.

(also, I have been searching franticaly for my Lange serial number book to look up this watch...hopfully I will find it todayl It is a slender little book!)

Jeffrey Hess
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

That's a great question and I'd be curious to know how the poster arrived at his assessment of Assman being the mfgr on this otherwise unsigned movement.
    Perhaps if someone can make contact with "watchfriends" they can request him to pull the dial and advise on the serial / signature. I surfed his prior posts and unfortunately didn't find any other posts on his movement....

Of you think the watch traveled boat to horseback across the US in the 1850s or across pacific route? Plus possibly south american way but no Panama canal? As assuming boats were much quicker

It is interesting to try to trace the steps necessary for this transaction to occur. San Francisco was certainly bustling in the mid 1850s but for Ohm to have been aware of Lange and to order watches from the newly renowned German and anticipate a profit from the investment was pretty bold. To make an order for X number of watches from Lange and to commit /contract funds is somehow is astonishing to me for the era. I can imagine from start to finish the deal taking several months or a year and yet it did happen. I see S.F. almost every day and enjoy learning about it's history. The Ohm watches are fantastic artifacts and revise my view of what was possible then. I will try to check out Mr. Ohm when I next visit the historical soc. in S.F..You are lucky to be able to research this in the "internet era". I owned my Ohm around '92.-Cort