Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: AGBlex)

If not Lange then certainly in the style of Lange or another Glashutter maker. The Ohm Lange I had was signed Frederic Ohm to the best of my recollection. If not the same fellow he seems likely to be a relative. I was very impressed that Lange's reputation was great enough in those years that a S.F. importer would arrange an order from him. I wonder how long he had to wait for the watch and how payment was arranged. -Cort

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: AGBlex)

Yes, it does look like a fairly high-grade movement. I can't add much other than to concur that it does look rather German. It seems to me that Lange, or maybe all Glashutte movements have the hairspring stud oriented on the inside of the balance-cock. I don't recall seeing it on others. The pallet-cock seems very similar to images of Lange watches I'm comparing too as well. That said, I haven't seen a Lange/Glashutte without the capped escape wheel. And, of course the plate sizes and layout are different from the classic Lange. Interesting stuff.

I did see an Assmann movement in my 2010 Shugart that has a very similar barrel-ratchet setup to the subject. It also did not have an obviously capped escape wheel.

Cheers.
    Last edited by MrRoundel; 04-12-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added Assmann comment.

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: 4thdimension)

It is curious to think how far and how long this watch traveled. Plus you are right, payment had to have been just as much of a Pain in the buns. I just wish I had the case. Does this one have any resemblance of the plate shape to the one you had?

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: MrRoundel)

would this ( If it were Assmann or Lange ) be a early model or just an oddball they made?

Quote Originally Posted by AGBlex View Post
    would this ( If it were Assmann or Lange ) be a early model or just an oddball they made?
    Sorry, I don't have the knowledge of such things to give an answer.

I think someone asked if you had removed the dial. Have you? Is there a dial present? Either way, an image of the the movement's dial side might help someone supply more info. Many times, setting mechanisms are unique to makers. At the very least, there should be a serial number that would probably be useful.

Do you know how to safely remove the dial? I think I might see some type of dial-retaining screw on the pillar-plate near the "by" in "by E. Ohm". Whatever you do, don't force it, as the porcelain doesn't flex at all, only chips and cracks very easily.

I apologize if you already know all of that stuff. Good luck.

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: MrRoundel)

No apology necessary it is all good information! The dial is on, plain and has hairlines and 2 of its 3 hands
    I will do my best to remove everything safely and upload a photo of the movements dial side

here is the dial side,

G & L
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160412_183711.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	326.3 KB 
ID:	299603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160412_183723.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	299602  

paydirt!

Lange! rare bro.

Gutkaes und Lange
    Last edited by Jeff Hess; 04-12-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

get it over to the Glashutte museum folks.

this IS a museum quality watch. For sure.

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Jeff Hess)

estimation on the date or such? what makes this so rare?

it is extremely early for Lange and a plate design that is not usual for keywind early Langes.

COOOOOL!

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Jeff Hess)

Yes! Very early (1850s) and signed G+L for Gutkaes(sp.?)and Lange. Gutkaes was Lange's mentor. I do not recall the plate layout of the Lange/Ohm I had but remember it was about 12s. Again, I marvel that Lange's renown was already such that he was even even known to Ohm at this early date. San Francisco was a bustling place in the 1850s but I find the importation of Lange's watches then very impressive. Wonderful find, congrats!-Cort

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: 4thdimension)

Im very excited about this thank you very much! I agree that 6000 miles away back in that day is far different from the 6000 miles today! I hope I can get this to the right person. I just don't want it "lost at sea" as I found it

And yes, all you need now is a gut kaes <(';')>. -Cort

Here is a couple other angles
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160412_202845.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	299624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160412_202819.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	674.9 KB 
ID:	299625