Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info?

Literally can't find any info on it. Help would be wonderful . Measures 48.8mm across

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: AGBlex)

A photo of the movement is somewhat necessary to ID your watch. Private-label watches can be from many different makers for the same label. And it's nearly certain that yours is a private-label watch. At least I have never heard of the name "Ohm" as a watchmaker, or jeweler for that matter. Good luck.

Registered user.

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: AGBlex)

On my 13-year-old computer with dial-up connection (which I mention only to perhaps elicit sympathy or at least understanding), using a Google search and various sources that it led me to, including a San Francisco business directory from c.1880, I managed to find out that (listed under watchmakers and jewelers) there was an Edward F. Ohm, doing business at 604 Merchant Street in San Francisco!!! I apologize for that long sentence; I just let it flow!

I found no other more specific information on Ohm's business or any watches. A search on this message board brought up a bunch of threads that were mainly on on the Electric Horology forum, as I expected it would!

I agree with MrRoundel; a photo of the movement would be essential to further discussion.

I just had an irrelevant after-though that, if I were wise, I would keep to myself. Apparently I'm not [wise], so here goes nothing! Could it be possible that at some time long ago and in some distant land, Mr. Ohm's ancestors were perhaps named Watt or Volta or Ampere, but decided to join a "resistance" group of some sort, and therefore changed their name to Ohm? Okay, I apologize for that. Save your over-ripe tomatoes and make some pasta sauce instead. Yes, I probably do have too much time on my hands! <];>)

Larry Treiman
    Last edited by Larry Treiman; 04-11-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Who wants to know?

Hi Larry, I love your little diversion from reality with your story about "Ohm". Just to make you a little bit upset; not really, I just had NBN optic Fiber internet connected to my Quad Core Xeon Computer. Regards Ray

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Omexa)

I used to own a micrometer marked "Ohm / S.F." on each part. I looked him up in the S.F. Library and found he was in business long enough that he was listed in an early S.F. phone book. Next time I see the present owner I will ask to get a picture.-Cort. p.s.- I just remembered I also used to own an early private label Lange pocket watch movement signed Frederic Ohm S.F.. The ser. No. was around 3xxx. so roughly 1860s.-C

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: 4thdimension)

I apologize. I thought this photo added earlier... here it is again. dial side is plain with a few hairlines but nothing fancy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160411_133858.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	466.3 KB 
ID:	299508  

A very nice movement that I have not seen before. Regards Ray

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Omexa)

Whoa! Beautiful. Maybe perhaps a German watch too? That guess based solely on the shape of the balance cock.-Cort

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: 4thdimension)

awesome watch! scant info...

A mention here: http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d...8661101.2.37.4
    a lawsuit here:https://books.google.com/books?id=y2...patent&f=false

and several lawsuits.

back to the watch any serial numbers?
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Jeff Hess)

No serial numbers that I can see. but I have not removed the dial. lots on this guys problems!!!! I hope it all leads to the maker and what or where the movements went!

in 1861 he was noted as an "importer for many years" of watches. https://books.google.com/books?id=r5...&q:^hm&f=false
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Jeff Hess)

If we think this is a European watch, I can move the thread over to the European forum. Maybe some folks over there can ID it. I'll leave the thread here for now until someone says something definite about its origin.

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Maybe moving it should work, I was hopeful here , but San Fran was a long way to travel back then especially for a little watch

OK. Moving to the European forum, hopefully for an ID on the movement.

Default Re: Unknown E. Ohm San Francisco Pocket watch Maker KW info? (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Thank very much