Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Escape Wheel Truth Checker

Once again, necessity was the mother of invention for me. I needed some sure way of checking the truth of the teeth on a clock escape wheel and other methods just didn't fit the bill for me.

The basis of the checker was a plexiglass piece, 3" in diameter, that had been used for another purpose. I enlarged the hole in the center, where I could insert bushings of different diameters so that I could check the wheels while mounted to the shaft.

The two leaf springs may be familiar to some, as they are from some Hermle clock movements that were a part of the movement for a calender function. Since it was not needed, I removed them and filed them away in a drawer for some future use.

One was mounted to the side of the plexi disk, a shoulder screw held it to the disk, and a spring was incorporated to keep tension on the leaf spring so it could not only keep tension on a small wheel, but would also swing out further to accommodate a larger wheel. A small pin from a junk movement was measured for its diameter, a hole drilled to that size, and the pin was pressed in to serve as an anchor point for the tension spring. The bend in the end of the spring served as a detent to set down between the teeth and hold the wheel in place.

The other leaf spring had the bent end cut off, and temporarily mounted to the side of the disk with some small locking pliers to keep it in place. It serves as the indicator or pointer for the teeth to check for truth or if it may be bent. It could also serve to indicate in-round or out-of-round for the wheel too by placing the tip of the indicator right at the end of the tooth. I see the need to also incorporate a third spring to keep slight downward tension on the wheel keeping it from moving laterally while rotating the escape wheel.

I had made a video of it in use, but was not happy with my lighting, nor the sound, so I just put it into picture form. This checker is not perfect, but it fullfilled a need that I had to get some clocks done that were giving me problems. The one tooth that is marked with a blue pen was the tooth that was out of truth, so after bending it back into place, that and the rest of the teeth then checked ok.

Almost forgot to explain how I use it! Insert the proper diameter of bushing for the diameter of the wheel shaft. Move the latching spring back so you can insert the wheel. Wheel needs to be inserted so the wheel rests on top of the bushing like it is on a table. Wheel can be rotated in either direction, but clockwise is best for this wheel. Rotate the wheel one tooth at a time past the latching spring, allowing it to rest between the teeth in the valley. I then put very slight back tension on the wheel so it rests solid between between the teeth. Adjust the pointer so it is right at the tip of the wheel, but allowing the tip to pass easily without catching and secure the pointer then. In my case I used some locking pliers. Then start rotating the wheel one tooth at a time, checking each against the pointer for truth. That's the best I can explain it, it works well for me and I hope for you also!

I am placing this idea in the public domain, free to use, modify and improve, much like Joe Collins mainspring winder. I hope it is of use to someone like it was for me..........................doc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toothchecker 004.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	297953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toothchecker 003.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	297956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toothchecker 002.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	297955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toothchecker 001.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	297954  
    Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."

Default Re: Escape Wheel Truth Checker (By: doc_fields)

Cool! Thanks for sharing!
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Yes thanks for sharing very ingenuous I will certainly will file that one away for future reference
    Stephen Benson - Clock website www.ajsbsa.co.uk There is no time, only clocks

Default Re: Escape Wheel Truth Checker (By: AJSBSA)

Thanks for sharing doc. I like it
    Couple of thoughts spring to mind. To be able to take different sized arbours, an adjustable collet in the centre?
    If the brass arm were to just pass the end of the EW tooth then a feeler gauge set could be used to measure distance between that and the tooth, so giving closer accuracy as opposed to the eye.
    shimmystep.

Default Re: Escape Wheel Truth Checker (By: shimmystep)

Quote Originally Posted by shimmystep View Post
    Thanks for sharing doc. I like it
    Couple of thoughts spring to mind. To be able to take different sized arbours, an adjustable collet in the centre?
    If the brass arm were to just pass the end of the EW tooth then a feeler gauge set could be used to measure distance between that and the tooth, so giving closer accuracy as opposed to the eye.
    Thanks for all your comments. After photographing was done and posting this, I put the wheel back into the movement, bolted it all together and it is now running. And, it has stayed running! One bent tooth, and some slightly bent pivots at each end kept it from running. Sometimes I feel so stupid and frustrated not seeing simple things that can keep a movement from running! I hope to learn from my mistakes, hope you can too.

Shimmy; That's a good idea, but this wasn't my aim at the moment in doing this. I just wanted to see quickly which teeth were out of kilter. Maybe you could duplicate this and try out your idea on it? I would love to see some improvements to this to benefit us all.

Thank you, God bless............................doc
    Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."

Hi Doc,
    Kuhl, a really good idea. I have been straightening EW by eye for years,with various degrees of success. Your fixture takes the guesswork out of the equasion.
    However, I see one thing that would require much care. And that is the initial set-up needs to be using EW teeth that have the proper spacing,otherwise I think that you could create an error with the tooth angles-or perhaps not,maybe I'm just over-thinking the process.
    This is a relatively easy fixture to produce and as soon as my bench is cleared of a couple of projects I plan to fabricate one.
    Again,thanks for sharing.

tom
    "keep 'em runnin' "

Default Re: Escape Wheel Truth Checker (By: tom427cid)

Quote Originally Posted by tom427cid View Post
    Hi Doc,
    Kuhl, a really good idea. I have been straightening EW by eye for years,with various degrees of success. Your fixture takes the guesswork out of the equasion.
    However, I see one thing that would require much care. And that is the initial set-up needs to be using EW teeth that have the proper spacing,otherwise I think that you could create an error with the tooth angles-or perhaps not,maybe I'm just over-thinking the process.
    This is a relatively easy fixture to produce and as soon as my bench is cleared of a couple of projects I plan to fabricate one.
    Again,thanks for sharing.

tom
    Thanks Tom! Another thing I forgot to mention in posting, is that you should mark the e.w. teeth where the tick is good, so you know which ones are bad. Also, don't forget to check for a bent pivot, it will do the same sometimes. Thanks again!........................doc

Doc
    Another good idea, I've used my depthing tool with rather good results but I believe your tool would work out much better. With the light from the bottom side you get a good view of the whole gear.
    Thank for the great idea.
    Nelson

Default Re: Escape Wheel Truth Checker (By: ncollar)

Thank you! I'm glad everybody has liked it. I hope others have found it useful too. Be sure to watch for my next idea to help with the Webster mainspring Winder. It will eliminate a lot of aggravation and can be adapted for use on other mainstream winders..................................doc

Just what I could have used on my watches many times!

Default Re: Escape Wheel Truth Checker (By: PWfanatik)

Hi all!
    It's been almost a yearly since I posted this Escape wheel truth checker and have noticed a lot of views on it now.
    So I'm wondering if anyone has made one or modified it in any way to make it work better. Please share if you could with the rest of us what you have done with it. Thanks so much!............................doc