Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does any one collect Deck clocks

Since we collect chronometers . I was wondering if most are like me and collect any thing made to tell time at sea. So deck watches, chronometers, and ships clocks. Being that ships clocks were some times cheap to find I got a lot of them plus when I was in the US Navy there was one all ways on the bridge I use to look at when I was Boatswains mate of the watch in charge of a watch section. I have ones made by Seth Thomas, Chelsea, most were for the Navy got two that were for the US Army and one for the merchant marine. But the two that were not cheap and hard to find was one made by Seikosa for the Japanese Navy and one made by Kieninger & Obergfell for the Kriegsmarine in WW2. Any one else collect ships clocks I can post some of them if any one wants to see them.

Default Re: Does any one collect Deck clocks (By: River rat)

Before I moved from Calif to MT I did some volunteer work on the USS Iowa a WW2 Battle ship it was in the yards in Richmond Cailf for repainting and other work before being towed to LA to become a museum. Never thought I would see a deck crawler again it's a tool for chipping paint off the deck we took the flight deck to bare metal to repaint crazy doing free work after you retire. One thing I notice no deck clocks aboard so I donated one before they towed it to LA. One of my deck clock stories. Got photo's of our work on the Iowa could post those if any one interested.

Blog Entries

I know they were used in all locations, but I am in the habit of calling the sturdy clocks Signal Room clocks.

I think we are all interested in the artifacts, especially the ones used for maneuver management are fascinating. I have a few that I will post also but nothing very fancy.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

See in most military service knowing the time is very important especially in the Navy the ship is run by watch section a standard watch is 4 hours. The bridge section then the watch section in the engine room then you did your normal job after watch it's all most like you work 24/7. Plus in port you had watch sections plus your normal job when not at sea. So ships clocks were important than just the radio room. When on watch on the bridge and in port from the quarter deck watch a clock was impotent to pass at a certain time the word like sweepers and when chow was served and knock off ships work and reveille and to ring the ships bell on the 1MC the speaker system on ship for the time. Plus clocks showed you when the time was to show up for watch all ways 15 minutes before to get info what's going on before you take over the watch. And then you had the deck log on the quarter deck watch were any thing that happens on the watch gets wrote down and the time it was wrote so ships clocks are more important than you think.
    Last edited by River rat; 03-23-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Some are really cool looking here is one from the German Navy in WW2 solid brass case and silver dial.

And this one from the Japanese Navy in WW2 it's got really cool hands I know some one who has a older one with a fusse movement mine don't.

You can see the same clock in the engine room of a Japanese destroyer
    The case on this ones also made of brass and the movement has a black coating like the US did on some issued wristwatches for weather protection. The hands on the German one looks like what you expect on chronometers or railroad watches really well made.
    Last edited by River rat; 03-23-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Went to Hawaii last year for a Navy Reunion went to the Arizona Memorial and the USS Missouri BB-63 and went aboard the USS Bowfin SS-287 a Balao class submarine used in WW2 took some photo's of ships clocks on the sub. Was reading a book about the only mass escape of POW's from the Japanese from the Philippines in WW2 and this sub picked some of them up to take them to Australia so was cool to go aboard it with that history. I can see them being more important on a sub due to the crew not knowing if it's night or day being under water most of the time never seeing the sun.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the great pictures River Rat, i just have 3 Chelsea clocks, my favourite is the 8.5 inch dial Chelsea from early 1900,s. Would love to get my hands on some more ships clocks from the military era.
    Last edited by Kevin W.; 03-24-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: Does any one collect Deck clocks (By: Kevin W.)

The only deck clock I own is a 3 pc bulkhead clock. It was by the Low family and the only reason I have it is because I know Chuck Low and know their history. FWIW. many people think they used Chelsea but the whole thing was designed and made in their 3rd floor factory in lower Manhattan. Has a 2 week spring and the rate is amazing.

When I lived in the Bay Area being there use to be a lot of Navy bases around at one time there all closed down due to budget cut's. These clocks were easy to find found them at coin shops and antique shops and antique fairs one they have at the Alameda NAS base on the tarmac or run way on the first Sunday of the month still think that still going on today takes you a few hours to walk through it and then at the local NAWCC SF chapter marts at great prices but you find them less in the wild now. Been living in MT for a few years so far never seen one for sell in the wild at the local antique shops or the one and only vintage watch shop in Bozeman MT I have found. I have ten in the collection one of these days would like to get a Navy issued Chelsea Radio Room clock with the red like strips for radio silence for SOS signals one of these days.

Default Re: Does any one collect Deck clocks (By: DeweyC)

Quote Originally Posted by DeweyC View Post
    The only deck clock I own is a 3 pc bulkhead clock. It was by the Low family and the only reason I have it is because I know Chuck Low and know their history. FWIW. many people think they used Chelsea but the whole thing was designed and made in their 3rd floor factory in lower Manhattan. Has a 2 week spring and the rate is amazing.
    That's one I don't have since it has a two week spring how many days does it run ?

I have just obtained a 36 Size Waltham 8 day. it is cased in Brass and seems to hang from it's pendant which is at 6.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waltham 36S.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	297558

It seems to run alright and needs a crystal.
    Would this be a boat clock?
    By the way , this is not me holding it with my bare hands...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does any one collect Deck clocks (By: PWfanatik)

I would really be surprised to see a bow on the pendant to hang it by.

These clocks are normally housed in a leather case and used as travel clocks. The same movement is used in many different types of case from gimbal mounts and flat torpedo watch cases to elaborate Art Deco table clocks. Most of them were cased as travel clocks.

Name:	DSC01058.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	297601
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Does any one collect Deck clocks (By: Tom McIntyre)

But they did house the Waltham 8 Day in a gimbal box as you can see

Name:	IMG_9073.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	297716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9078.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	297717

Default Re: Does any one collect Deck clocks (By: Barry Armstrong)

I have not yet disassembled my watch or clock as it may be...
    The pendant is at 6.
    Does anyone know if this watch would be adjusted to place the dial so the pendant is at 12 or 3?

Name:	Waltham 36S.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	297785

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does any one collect Deck clocks (By: PWfanatik)

Since there is no seconds bit, the dial can be rotated to any position. However, you would need to relocate the dial feet, which is not trivial. If the dial feet were removed, the bezel would probably hold the dial securely anyway.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers