Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4279 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default ST Lyre strikes too fast

I've got a ST Lyre movement that strikes too fast. Has anybody else encountered this? The movement is in the 16" Column and Cornice clock.

The governor is tight on the shaft, which is generally the culprit.
    The mainspring is .016" X 11/16", so it's not oversprung. Not sure what to think.

So I'm left wondering if by chance that this movement was made to strike faster.

Default ST Lyre strikes too fast (By: craig)

I've got a ST Lyre movement that strikes too fast. Has anybody else encountered this? The movement is in the 16" Column and Cornice clock.

The governor is tight on the shaft, which is generally the culprit.
    The mainspring is .016" X 11/16", so it's not oversprung. Not sure what to think.

So I'm left wondering if by chance that this movement was made to strike faster.

Blog Entries

This is unlikely Craig, but - is it possible the governor fly is too small? I think I would still try a weaker spring if possible. I have a ST but different movement with the same problem. Sounds like a machine gun when it goes off. Too fast to even count the strikes. It has a replacement spring, and although the right dimensional size I still think the spring is too strong and is the culprit.

DrewV

I have a 30-hour Ingraham kitchen clock that does the same thing. Original springs, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, original fly, so that's not the issue, either.

I'm led to believe that this was typical of this type of movement. Perhaps the 8-day version of this movement had a slower strike. I'm not sure.

Either way, it might just be that way naturally; perhaps nothing is wrong at all.

Oddly, on an Ogee movement that I have, the fly is "weighted" with huge blobs of solder on each blade of the fan, presumably to make it strike slower. But obviously, as it proceeded to strike, it would increase in speed, ultimately reaching the same speed anyways, depending on the strike count. In fact, the added weight would just put more stress on the strike train when it finished and tried to stop its movement.

Sometimes, "repairs" of this nature just blow my mind.

You could try tensioning the spring on the striker to add resistance. I've done this on an Ansonia kitchen clock with some success.

Craig,I had the same problem with an Ansonia Calendar Dial Wall Clock a while back.That thing would chime so fast it always sounded like it was striking one o'clock.That gonging was just one big blur.Anyway I did the tightening thing and all the other governor tricks I was aware of and still no luck.Finally I said to hell with it and put on a larger fly from an assortment I bought at Merritts.Before I installed the new fly though I took a pair of sheetmetal bending tongs and put about a 30 degree bend on a point about a 1/4" from the ends to hopefully create a tad more air resistance.Well I have to tell you that ole Ansonia is gonging a lot slower now.A lot more pleasing to the ears.Thats how I handled my strike problem.I don't know if it will solve yours but I thought I'd pass it on you anyway.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Hey guys. Thanks. I believe the fly is original. I may experiment with some sheet brass and bend the tips to create resistance.

Was mostly curious if others had experienced the same with certain ST Lyre movements. Everything looks to be in mechanically in order, but the machine gun sound makes me wonder.

I'm in agreement with Viv.

The problem could be as simple as adding another wind to the hammer spring. To give it more resistance against the strike train.

Thanks Viv!

(Hey still did not recieve wood lathe tools. Told ya my mail is the pits)

RJ
    The bitter the challenge, the juicy the conquest.
    Conquest -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY