Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: Marty W)

Received a reply from shop owner, he was supposed to get 52 watches, but only 50 showed up. He says he "purchased them in good faith" from the seller. By my math thats for $38.50 per watch- many of these were 21 jewel or higher and a good majority in gold filled cases. He has confirmed the serial numbers of several watches match those on my list as do the descriptions! Will be in touch with my local sheriffs office in the morning and see how we proceed. I do not mind covering the return shipping and packaging fee but don't feel I owe him anything other than that at this point.
    Last edited by kevinstang; 02-24-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: topspin)

So funny topspin! you guys get to watch Judge Judy?

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: kevinstang)

Is it not a Federal Offense to buy/sell stolen goods if the USPS is involved in the transaction and/or if the goods/funds are sent/received over State lines?

If so, why can't the FBI recover the goods?

Do you really buy the statement that a couple of the watches disappeared from the box? Sold perhaps? Don't give up on these two.....perhaps traceable to the seller if found?
    Last edited by Dick C; 02-24-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: pops)

About 20 years ago I remember having it on one of the cable channels. I'm sure I could still watch it now if I had a good enough cable/satellite package... and a TV set... It got a bit boring after a while.

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: topspin)

Kevin,
    I have to agree with Marty. Disconnect yourself from the buyer in Wa. He's a crook. You will be nothing but lied to. Let the cops do their thing. I am confident that your goods will be recovered in time although a couple of watches may have already slipped through the cracks. The only one who would know the real value of the missing watches is the buyer. I think the other two are just a couple of crack heads. Just my opinion. I also don't think you will be responsible for shipping them back although you never know these days. It is the law enforcements duty to recover the goods. Hopefully you have the serial nos. or descriptions of those particular ones. Good luck...
    "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." - Ecc. 3:1

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: Dick C)

Quote Originally Posted by Dick C View Post
    Is it not a Federal Offense to buy/sell stolen goods if the USPS is involved in the transaction and/or if the goods/funds are sent/received over State lines?

If so, why can't the FBI recover the goods?

Do you really buy the statement that a couple of the watches disappeared from the box? Sold perhaps? Don't give up on these two.....perhaps traceable to the seller if found?
    They were shipped UPS- I had hoped USPS because I have heard they will get very active in investigations like this.Hopefully will get some good news today.

It is illegal to receive stolen goods, and once they are known to be stolen, the receiver should in most states be obliged to give them to the rightful owner.
    They then need to seek their relief from the persons who brought them the stolen goods.
    Just my 2 cents...

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: PWfanatik)

#1 You need to prove ownership & provide that information to law enforcement.
    #2 If you can do so, buyer has no legal right to receiving stolen goods. In fact, depending upon the circumstances, the buyer can be found to have committed a crime. One cannot knowingly purchase stolen property. We don't have sufficient facts in that regard.
    #3 Your local law enforcement, as well as Washington law enforcement, should assist you with recovering your property...eventually.
    #4 The watches (and other stolen items) are evidence in a criminal prosecution in two states. There most likely has been a federal crime committed, as well, although I suspect it will not be pursued. In any event, it could take quite a while before you receive them back. Policies can vary between police & prosecutor's officers concerning retention of evidence. Sometimes they will document the stolen goods with photos, etc, and return to the owner, but I suspect you will not get them back until prosecutions, or at least convictions, are completed.
    #5 It sounds like the wheels are turning in your favor, but probably very slowly.
    #6 The sentencing court should order the defendant(s) to make restitution of any loss you may suffer; however, I would not hold my breath on receiving payment, unless daddy bails them out.
    #7 Good luck!

This situation should serve as a lesson to all of us to keep good records and secure our collectibles.
    Ted Collins
    NAWCC #107043

"Many of the world's problems are caused by the fact that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, while wiser men are so full of doubts."

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: kevinstang)

I'm pretty sure I know who this guy is as I live about 15 minutes north of Bellevue, and watch guys are few and far between in these parts. I wouldn't call him a crook. Maybe an opportunist, making a shrewd deal with a girl hard up for money who seemingly didn't know what she had. Anyone here who has ever turned a profit on any watch they have ever sold would be held in the same regard in my eyes. He seems reputable, though I have never personally dealt with him.

Possession of stolen property valued in under $5k is possession in the second degree in the state of WA, which is a Class C felony. I would think that would matter to a businessman that intends on staying in business.
    http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.160
    Last edited by Squite; 02-27-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Addition of link for WA state stolen property laws.

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: Squite)

And what would it be if the value of the 50 (or 52 or 56) watches came to more than $5k? That works out at no more than $100 apiece which, er, how to say this, might be seriously undervaluing some collections.

Just so everyone is clear on this. Possessing stolen property is not a crime in and of itself. Nor does it give the possessor a legal right to keep the same, under civil law. Knowingly possessing or receiving stolen property is a crime, which must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt under the law in a criminal prosection. We do not have sufficient information to make any judgment of that.
    Ted Collins
    NAWCC #107043

"Many of the world's problems are caused by the fact that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, while wiser men are so full of doubts."

If he has been contacted by the OP, and was able to verify the SNs, and the police have asked him where he got them, he probably has a good idea they might be stolen. Could he look the other way and hope nobody pursues it further? Of course. But if it were me, I wouldn't. Bellevue isn't some hick town in the middle of nowhere. It's got a sizable population & the police there are known to be hardasses.

If over $5k in value, it becomes possesion in the first degree, a Class B felony which is punishable by up to 10 years in prison & a $20,000 fine.

Default Re: Some good and not so good news on my stolen pocket watches.... (By: Squite)

Quote Originally Posted by Squite View Post
    If he has been contacted by the OP, and was able to verify the SNs, and the police have asked him where he got them, he probably has a good idea they might be stolen. Could he look the other way and hope nobody pursues it further? Of course. But if it were me, I wouldn't. Bellevue isn't some hick town in the middle of nowhere. It's got a sizable population & the police there are known to be hardasses.

If over $5k in value, it becomes possesion in the first degree, a Class B felony which is punishable by up to 10 years in prison & a $20,000 fine.
    Its been a week since I last heard from local police on status of watches. I was able to provide serial numbers for only some of the watches and pretty good descriptions of some of the more "unique" watches in the collection. The dealer admits that they match-some of them. Tie this with the fact that the thiefs girlfriend contacted him two days after my burglary and he bought them the next day by sending a check out to her- I thought would be pretty solid evidence myself, but apparently not. The guy admits receiving them from her and has been co-operating with police I guess, but at last word he still had my watches- although the local police told him not to sell them etc..Hoping for some news next week. He paid $2,000 for the watch lot- I figure retail would be closer to $8,000, there were alot of 21 jewel railroad watches and even a couple 23jewel models- all American brands.
    Last edited by kevinstang; 03-04-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add value and fix spelling

He sent her a check? I'm surprised he got anything at all from the thieves! They may well have "sold" these watches to several people.

An honest man would say "I'm sorry, I had no idea they were stolen. I'll send them right back to you."

Hi, Kevin!
    I realize this is now a "historical" thread, but I was wondering what ever happened with your watches?
    I live just a few minutes from Bellevue (on Mercer Island) and if there is anything that you think I might be able to help you with regarding the situation, please let me know.
    Hopefully, all is well and your watches are back at home with you (ALL of them!). But, if not, let me know. I can be very "persuasive" when I want to be and irritatingly persistent on top of that! 😇
    I just get a bit "personally offended" when people are being taken advantage of or outright ripped off and LOVE being part of a resolution solution! 😁
    Anyway, hope this finds you well and with good news!
    Kind regards,
    Melanie