Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 736 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Waltham Pocket Watch Identification

Hi All: A while back someone sent me a link to a webite where you could enter a Waltham watch serial number and get back all kinds of info about the particular watch. Anyone know what the URL is?
    Thanks, Robert

Default Waltham Pocket Watch Identification (RE: finiteguy)

Hi All: A while back someone sent me a link to a webite where you could enter a Waltham watch serial number and get back all kinds of info about the particular watch. Anyone know what the URL is?
    Thanks, Robert

Blog Entries

Thanks Jon, That's the one.
    Robert

Default Re: Waltham Pocket Watch Identification (RE: Jon Hanson)

Mr. Hanson, I went to the site and reviewed what information was offered on the Waltham #645 I recently purchased, still feel a little lost sir. How can a person tell if the watch they have purchased is original as sold in 1908? I pruchased my watch from a store in Cambriea, California called "A place in Time". It's a Waltham 16s, 21j, #645 lever set, motor barrel, solid gold center wheel, adjusted 5 positions, with a very nice looking Oval shaped Keystone Boss 10k ygf case, chasie #17096XXX. From what I have seen on e-bay while looking at Waltham parts for a new oval dial (mine has hair lines) the hour and minute hands are "Moon" style, it's heavy, and looks good to me. But is it real? The e-bay add for the hour and minute hands discribed them as for a Waltham Riverside and my watch is a model #645 as writen on the chasie. Could you or anyone here offer a picture of what my watch should look like. I still feel very lucky to own this pocket watch as the chasie is 104yrs old and looks beautiful as the rest of the watch. If I've been snooked it's a lesson learned. I'm unable to offer a picture right now, maybe sometime in the future. Thanks for you consideration, Crusty

Smile Re: Waltham Pocket Watch Identification (RE: CrustyOldGuy4Life)

Hi Crusty:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

It might have been better to have started a new thread instead of attaching your post to one that's been dormant for eight years. Don't worry about it though, if necessary, a moderator will break your post and my response off and use it to start the new thread.

I'm not sure what you means by the terms "Oval shaped .. case" and "oval dial" Perhaps if English isn't your primary language, you meant to convey "round case" or "circular case"

There were a number of dials that Waltham used for a railroad watch. One that would have been placed on a grade No. 645 is shown in a 1910 ad. Other dials would look very similar, except being enamel and of double-sunk construction, as appears in this 1917 ad for a grade No. 645. Also, dials having a marginal Red 5 Minute Track would have also been furnished on railroad watches.

' "Moon" style' hands (otherwise known as Breguet hands) tended not to have been supplied from the factory on watches intended for railroad time service. However, these could have been put on the movement by the retailer at the time time of initial purchase. This would have been done when the movement was fitted into the buyer's choice of watch case at that initial sale.

Unless you know that it has been cleaned and oiled within the last few years, you should have the watch serviced before running it very much. It may be helpful for you to read the Encyclopedia article on Watch Service and its related links, especially the one to the message board thread on the subject. The Encyclopedia article on Choosing a Pocket Watch Repair Person may be useful as well.

Would you please share the full serial number with us? When you can post some pictures, we'd love to see your watch.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,
    Last edited by Kent; 11-23-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added link to example of marginal Red 5 Minute Track
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Pocket Watch Identification (RE: CrustyOldGuy4Life)

You may not have noticed that the conversation you have added to is 8 years old.

In watch discussions, we normally call the chassis the movement. Why are you suspicious about your 645?

Here is an earlier thread on the 645 that I found by typing 645 into the box that says search near the upper right of the screen. http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?7...&highlight=645.

It has some pictures.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers