Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Default Re: Robert Roskell Liverpool movement...perhaps later 1880s? (By: Allan C. Purcell)

Allan - in the attachment manager don't use the 'insert inline' button after you have uploaded the photographs. Just click on 'Done' - that adds the thumbnails only.

I know that works for me when I add new photographs, I haven't checked it if you add existing uploaded photographs

Martin - I think using the insert inline function is the problem - if you would like to check I'm correct and perhaps add it to the sticky post. I haven't changed any of my settings.

John

Blog Entries

Default Re: Robert Roskell Liverpool movement...perhaps later 1880s? (By: John Matthews)

Hi John,

Yes, this works for existing pictures as well. Well spotted!

Regards,

Graham
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	346078  

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Robert Roskell Liverpool movement...perhaps later 1880s?

Hi all,

Well...one year on from my first opening this thread, it has developed into an almost constant discussion and source of valuable information!

So, in a kind a celebratory way...here's a picture of the original culprit now resting happily in a Hunt & Roskell box.....one which I've actually owned for a few years. Martin will no doubt recognise it!

Also a big thanks to Graham for his surgical talents

Regards to all

Piers

Name:	DSC_7354.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	346085  
    Piers Lawrence

'In the end, time makes fools of us all...some more than others.'

Default Re: Robert Roskell Liverpool movement...perhaps later 1880s? (By: Allan C. Purcell)

Quote Originally Posted by Allan C. Purcell View Post
    Hi Marty,
    Thank you for removing the large photographs, can you tell how I can avoid them?
    No problem Allan Several readers of this forum agreed that the full-size images (which result from an error in the message board software) make threads impossible to read properly and we all agreed that I should remove them. We will soon be moving the whole board to a new software platform, and the problme will disappear.

In the meantime, there is a sticky thread right at the top of thois forum which explains what you can do yourself to overcome the problem. If you have time, try it yourself, but otherwise just leave it to me.
    Martin Rosen

Registered User Allan C. Purcell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know its my fault-but I cannot find "Done" anywhere on here. Also the sticky thread-whats it called? Thanks though to all those who have tried to help-I appreciate it.
    Regards,
    Allan.

Name:	IMG_2296.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	346142  
    Last edited by MartyR; 06-07-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Removed full-size post

Blog Entries

Hi Allan,

You need to select "Advanced" after "Reply" and then scroll down to "Manage Attachments". That will open a new window where you can upload images or select those already uploaded, before choosing either "Insert Inline" or "Done".

The "stickies" are at the top of this forum (European & Other Pocket Watches) and the first one is the one you want.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

I know its my fault-but I cannot find "Done" anywhere on here. Also the sticky thread-whats it called? Thanks though to all those who have tried to help-I appreciate it.
    Regards,
    Allan.
    The "sticky" thread is is shown at the top of this forum index page and is called "Temporary work-around to prevent oversize images".
    Martin Rosen

Blog Entries

Marty and Graham-Thank you for kind efforts on my behalf. I think I will stick with "DONE" though I hope I dont need it, and will wait for the new upgrade.

Thanks again.

Allan.

Blog Entries

Worth a look this time-Many new items.
    Regards,

Allan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R. ROSKELL Numbers..pdf  
    Last edited by MartyR; 07-04-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Removed full-size image

Blog Entries

Worth a look this time-Many new items.
    Regards,

Allan.
    I came across a piece on Robert Roskell in "Curiosities of Clocks and Watches" by E.J.Wood. First printed in 1866. On Page 239 is;

"The older Mr. Roskell, an eminent goldsmith of Liverpool, who collected specimens of ancient watch-work, and put them into going order, had another of these memento mori watches, in the shape of a small death´s head of silver, witha ring in the summit of the skull, for suspending the article to the girdle.The lower jaw opened so that the dial might be examined. the same gentleman had also a watch which was said to have belonged to one of the pilgrim fathers, and perhaps was an appendage to an emigrant in the May.flower`.It was found in the backwoods of America. Mr. Roskell, in addition, possed a watch of most elaborate workmanship, having three massive cases all in gold, each case being highly embellished with chasing and figures in relievo, the outer case having been originally studded with large diamonds round the rim, but of late years deficient."

He also mentions on page 351." Messrs. Hunt and Roskell have a gold watch by Emery. of London, with painted enamel case of the Holy Family, and a landscape inside.

It would be nice to know more, maybe some of these pieces still exsist-in a musuem or private hands. Impotent in this piece is the fact that Robert Roskell was a collector, and willing to learn from the past.