Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: Roth Bros.

Default Roth Bros.

Here are a couple of navigational aids that were put together by the Roth Brothers leading up to WW II. It seems that leading up to WW II there was a shortage of military timepieces available as Hamilton had not yet ramped up production of the 22 and 21. While using the same case and gimbal hardware it seems they fitted any good quality watch movement. They also supplied the dial. Besides the pictured Hamilton and Waltham examples I have seen Illinois and some European versions including one with a detent escapement. In the examples pictured there is a 15J Waltham 83 and a 21J Hamilton 940.
    Please feel free to post other Roth examples you may have.
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5508.JPG  
    Last edited by Jim Haney; 12-17-2015 at 08:21 AM. Reason: changed 17J to 21J

Blog Entries

Default Re: Roth Bros. (By: Paul Regan)

Nice looking pieces Paul. I think there are more of these than we know about because a lot of people have rejected them as fakes of some sort. The Walthams in flat boxes are probably by Roth or another outfitter with the same plan.

I have an Elgin 8 day made into an signal room clock by roth Brothers and some other instruments as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SextantInBox.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	283980 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FactoryCert.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	283981 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Signature.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	283982

Below is a Jurgenson detent chronometer mounted in a tub, I think by Roth. Gary Sellick assures me that the box is an accurate copy of a Roth WWII box.

Name:	FaceInBox.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	717.4 KB 
ID:	283983 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	283984

Here is the Elgin/Roth Signal Room clock.

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	493.7 KB 
ID:	283985 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MvtBack.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	404.7 KB 
ID:	283986 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MvtUnderDial.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	460.5 KB 
ID:	283987
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Roth Bros. (By: Tom McIntyre)

This is a Hamilton 940, which is a 21J 18size pocket watch that was in production for 20 years and helped Hamilton build the following for RR watches.

Kent has an ad for these from Roth Bros that they ran in newspapers to buy good watch movements. I will contact him for a copy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN4056.JPG   DSCN4057.JPG   DSCN4058.JPG   DSCN4059.JPG   DSCN4060.JPG  

Jim Haney

Smile Re: Roth Bros. (By: Jim Haney)

Here's the ad to which Jim referred:

Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Roth Bros. (By: Kent)

I recently added this Illinois version of the Roth Bros deck watches. The movement is a 23 jewel Bunn special. A nice extra is that it came with its last Rating Certificate. Looks like it was a nice time keeper. I guess I will have to look for more of these as I have now started a sub-collection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5541.JPG   DSCN5543.JPG   DSCN5545.JPG   DSCN5549.JPG   DSCN5564.JPG  

Registered user.

Default Re: Roth Bros. (By: Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Here's the ad to which Jim referred:

Wow, They must have been pretty desperate for any chronometers they could get their hand on !

Default Re: Roth Bros. (By: Accutronitis)

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronitis View Post
    Wow, They must have been pretty desperate for any chronometers they could get their hand on !
    Shipbuilding was going on at an enormous pace and rather than ships being scrapped they were being sunk, so presumably that had an effect on the secondhand market!
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Registered user.

Default Re: Roth Bros. (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    Shipbuilding was going on at an enormous pace and rather than ships being scrapped they were being sunk, so presumably that had an effect on the secondhand market!
    Before they were sunk weren't they stripped of anything useful ? Say like a chronometer ?

I think when you are racing for a lifeboat after being torpedoed that isn't going to be the first thing on your mind.

Registered user.

Opps i thought you meant they were being by the good guys for some reason, Brain fart......

I imagine the emergency shipbuilding programme was a major contributor to the shortage. That was to build merchant ships while the US Navy was already using up most of the available yard space to build its own ships. Add to that ships were no longer being scrapped so readily because there was a huge demand for them and those lost at sea were no source for parts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerge...ilding_program

Just when I thought it was safe, another Roth came along. Up until yesterday I had three (Hamilton, Waltham, Illinois) now I have four. Well an Elgin was spotted and I could not resist. Basically all Roth's are the same except for the movements. This one is an Elgin 21J Veritas. One interesting difference is that the Elgin dial is Roman.
    After all why not have one each of the big four manufacturers at the time. Glad to have it! Now what?
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5850.JPG   DSCN5852.JPG   DSCN5855.JPG   DSCN5857.JPG