Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

View Poll Results: How old are you?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 50

21 19.81%
  • 50-54

10 9.43%
  • 55-59

13 12.26%
  • 60-64

16 15.09%
  • 65-69

23 21.70%
  • 70-74

9 8.49%
  • 75-79

9 8.49%
  • 80 and over

5 4.72%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: Gary H)

36 for a few more months, and been collecting American pocketwatches since the age of 8 or 9 so for over 3/4 of my lifetime at this point.
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Blog Entries

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: Fred Hansen)

Fred, you're a baby.

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: darrahg)

There may be some age differences between collectors, those interested in collecting, those who do repair work and people who are interested in learning to repair clocks and watches.

I have been selling clock and watch repair courses last 15+ years. My analytics since 2007 - year to date 2016 show that the average person interested in learning clock or watch repair is 55-64. This range represents 23%. The next largest group is 45-54 representing 21%. The third largest group being 65+ represents 18%. 81% are male and 19% are female. These statistics are for the U.S. The percentages slightly vary in other countries.

The learning method used is DVD video and now online learning has been added since 12/2015. All products are only sold through the internet. Remember, these are only people who have an interest in learning clock and watch repair.

I thought you might find these stats interesting.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: ticktockpro)

Quote Originally Posted by ticktockpro View Post
    I thought you might find these stats interesting.
    Yes, I do indeed find these data interesting. Thank you for posting.

Robert
    Robert Gary "Learn something. Skill does not desert the life of a person ever." Dionysius Cato (ca. 230-150 BC)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: Robert Gary)

I guess th next question might be, how long have you been involved in the servicing of watches and/or clocks? I started as an apprentice to my watchmaker father 67 years ago. And I ain't dead yet!

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: doug sinclair)

I voted 65-69 as with most people, but I think that's due to retirees having more free time than working individuals, so it only makes sense.
    I don't think there's as much incentive to be one today as say, 50 years ago.

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: Dwindler)

25 and female. Hobbyist learning on my own. Loving the forums available!

-shetalksaboutclocks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: shetalksaboutclocks)

Quote Originally Posted by shetalksaboutclocks View Post
    25 and female. Hobbyist learning on my own. Loving the forums available!
    -shetalksaboutclocks
    Welcome! Are you a member of the NAWCC yet? It has a lot more to offer than just this MB. Check out the upcoming Symposium at Winterthur, October 6-8th: www.clocksatwinterthur.com
    and our presence on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Association-of-Watch-Clock-Collectors/157695280957414
    Robert
    Robert Gary "Learn something. Skill does not desert the life of a person ever." Dionysius Cato (ca. 230-150 BC)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: Robert Gary)

I'm a lady in my thirties. I got into clock repair two years ago. The trade has always appealed to me. I considered entering it in my teens and again in my late 20s, but had no idea how to go about it. I finally decided to pursue it, because my future was bleak. Typical employment intimidated me because of the emphasis on extroversion and social skills, which I struggle with due to my autistic foundation. Suddenly my world became larger. I was introduced to machine shop which I discovered I am quite good at and love. It fits me and my abilities. I discovered this is what I was meant to do. The trade has definitely changed my life. My friends and family have noticed, and they support me.

Making parts and tools, and fixing clocks satisfies me.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: Piisimuhkaan)

A very thoughtful post. Welcome to the trade. Success results from preparation and opportunity. And with determination, it sounds to me as though you should do well.

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: Piisimuhkaan)

Quote Originally Posted by Piisimuhkaan View Post
    It fits me and my abilities. I discovered this is what I was meant to do. The trade has definitely changed my life. My friends and family have noticed, and they support me.

Making parts and tools, and fixing clocks satisfies me.
    This is so good to hear.

For me, I'm only about two years back into it because the trade in Australia has not been sustainable outside the most populated areas. It warms my heart to hear your story.

My grandchilden visited me at my workbench yesterday and the shop owner told them, "Your grandfather is one of a unique few. We are lucky to have him".

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: doug sinclair)

Quote Originally Posted by doug sinclair View Post
    I guess th next question might be, how long have you been involved in the servicing of watches and/or clocks? I started as an apprentice to my watchmaker father 67 years ago. And I ain't dead yet!
    I'm not even that old. wow. Some serious years of experience there. I started at age 17. Didn't otherwise know what to do with myself and an apprenticeship came up. As I've stated elsewhere, this was only a year and a half after they left an accutron on the moon.

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: darrahg)

I realize that I am rather unusual, but I'm a senior in high school and I think old timekeeping devices are amazing. I am trying to learn more about how to work on watches. Now, as was mentioned earlier, as a teenager, my funds are rather limited, so four of the six watches that compose my "collection" are family heirlooms. I would enjoy learning more about watches though as I go through collage and hopefully continue with this hobby.

Registered user.

Default Re: Average Age of an Horologist (By: watchtinker)

I was very young when I first took an interest, 9 or 10 years old. My father had 10 or 11 watches, he gave me an 18s 11j Hampden which didn't run as it was far out of beat. Against his wishes I took it apart, cleaned it with alcohol, put it somewhat in beat, oiled with Vaseline and 3 in 1 household oil. It ran really quite well, 20 seconds per day timekeeping or so. After that I got more broken cheap watches, then more. I'm 27 now and service watches for a living. My favorites are 18th century verge fusee's. I started my business when I was 17, still learning new things every day. I just joined the forums here a couple years ago, but I lurked for a long time. As a teenager the Internet was my primary source of knowledge. I never had any mentor or family who was into horology.

A lot of younger people aren't into watchmaking/clockmaking because it isn't "cool" or "exciting". It doesn't go boom, or fast, or attract ladies. For me it's about interest in history. My oldest watch is from 1720, and I enjoy knowing the amount of history it existed through. Ticking away through nearly 300 years of history. I don't think it's about being too expensive. One can buy decent 18s Elgin's on eBay auctions every week for $20 to $30. That's considerably cheaper than the $1400 exhaust system a 20 something year old put on his Subaru. But I like cars, motorcycles, and guns too. I have a 67 Mercury Cougar, several Soviet surplus rifles, a 1942 German 98k Mauser. Of course you can notice a trend here, it all involves antiques and history. I was born a few years too late I think.
    Last edited by RailwayEagle; 01-27-2017 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Saved before I was done.